free website stats program Hard finding neutral | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard finding neutral

Having been riding bikes for many years in almost every case where its difficult to find neutral try raising the revs a bit as you try to shift to neutral and it usually helps

Brian

It may take a little practice at first but I always do this when I have a hard time. I apply steady pressure (no need to force it) while raising the revs and it pops in.

I've always found it a bit tricky finding neutral in all the harleys I've owned but I have to say that switching to Spectro 6 speed has made a big difference. I don't even think about it any more.

I also had the same problem with my 09 SG, at 5000 miles I switched to Spectro 6 speed oil (thanks to this forum) the problem went away, the trans shifts better, is more quiet and all around better.

Glen

I also had the same problem with my 09 SG, at 5000 miles I switched to Spectro 6 speed oil (thanks to this forum) the problem went away, the trans shifts better, is more quiet and all around better.

Glen
As Bill & Glider have said, if the bike is moving the forward tension on the meshing gears and the wet clutch "back lash" tension is also less, so shifting from 2nd to neutral will be easier. That said having Spectrol or other low friction 100% Synthetic gear oil, properly filled (to limit wet clutch immersion) and waiting a slight moment after pulling in the clutch should allow smooth shifting.

What Glider says and do check the adjustment New bikes are never set up right they want to get u at the first service interval

I will have to try changing to Spectro. Having the same problem just jumps from 1st to 2nd misses neutral? I have a 09 SG

had the same problem with my brand new electra the first 1000 miles, the engine maybe fully breaked in (not sure this is the correct word I am french talking guy), or I simply got the trick
this completly disapeared, everithing just fine now, a dream on the road

I had the same problem until I adjusted the clutch and change the fluid to synthetic. Fixed it immediately. First gear and 5th gear whine almost non-existant as well.

Mentioned the same thing to an HD tech that worked on my RG a while back & he sugested blipping the throttle slightly to briely spin the tranny gears up some. I tried it and it worked on both the stock 5 spd. & on the S/E 6 spd. that's in the bike now. Good luck & safe riding out there.

Back