free website stats program Going from a Sporty to Electra Glide | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Going from a Sporty to Electra Glide

Thank you for all the valuable information. I especially like dbmg’s top 10. I was/am a little intimidated by the size of the EG. I feel better with the words of encouragement. I think if I take my time, and get used to the size of the bike, and stay off that front brake, at low speeds while turning. I may even check out seat and suspension options to help out. I think I will be ok. The hardest part is waiting until 2 Jan 2012 to pick up the bike.

We will have to see how it goes with the Sporty. It depends on how much I ride it once I get used to the EG. The wife has said once or twice she may want to learn how to ride. Don’t want to push it on her.

What do ya’ll think about the Ride like a Pro videos? Has anyone benefited from them? I have completed the MSF course and was just looking for other ways to improve my skills.

Once again thank you for your help.

I went from a Dyna to a EG about two months ago and love it.

Kept the Dyna, the wife is slowly getting used to it one parking lot at a time. She did the Rider's Edge course to get her license at the local dealer and loved it.

I don't have much to add that everyone else has advised you on, just take your time on getting familiar with the new bike. I spent a little time in a couple parking lots with different turns, braking and such to get an idea how the bigger bike will respond.

Enjoy and congrats on the new bike.:newsmile090:

"What do ya’ll think about the Ride like a Pro videos? Has anyone benefited from them? I have completed the MSF course and was just looking for other ways to improve my skills."
I own several Ride Like a Pro video's. Jerry Palidino covers all the bases. I never even heard of "riding in the friction zone" until I watched his video's.
Unfortunately I didn't heed his "stay off the front brake while turning" until I did just that and the bike went down and my ankle was sore for months! It took that painful lesson for me to really pay attention to all the advice that comes my way.
So yeah, pick up the video, you'll be surprised what you will learn, but nothing beats that road experience because that is when real life situations unfold in real time.

I went from a Deuce to an Ultra, best thing I ever did for my wife and I. The big bike handles so much better than I expected and now we ride hundreds of miles in a day instead of the short rides we took before. She can take all the "stuff" that she needs for a few days on the road with no problems. If the wife is happy, I'm happy!

Good advise for the newbe on tips for new e.g. . I wld add sell the sporster cause you wont be riding it anymore . I had a low rider & wld never go back .:D

I went from a super glide to a eg and the biggest thing that took the longest was the fairing and not knowing exactly where the front tire was when stopping. I am 5'8 and have the stock seat andthe bike is not lowered and I have no problems being solid with both feet on the ground. the weight will suprise you as to how neurtal it feels after you get moving, But don't forget how much weight that is there. With a little solo time you will want to either get your wife to on the sporty or sell it cause it will get very lonley in the garage.

The list is great... It is also true. I went from Sporty to Super to FL and I don't know if I could ever go back to a Sporty, the Super is only good for short hops anymore. The extra cash for fuel is just so you can get back home, the EG will get you far away in no time. Smilin' all the way..

I went from sporty to eg in 2000. I thenk it handled better and did curves better.I am 5'8 and have no problem. I now ride a 2012 Road glide. Lots of luck enjoy,

1.) You will need more money for gas.
2.) Invest in a map.
3.) With the additional luggage wife will be able to bring some of her stuff.
4.) Your wife and daughter may entice you to ride farther.
5.) Going out for a short put will end up being a couple of hundred miles.
6.) You will never get tired of riding the Glide.
7.) You will not have any more spare time for all your extra time will be riding
the Glide.
8.) You will go to places and see roads you never knew existed and may not
find again.
9.) The miles of smiles and memories made will last a lifetime.
AND NUMBER
10.) Be sure to say hi to the Sporty now and then for it may get lonely...:s

looks like someone is watching too much "late night with Dave Letterman" :24:

. . . What do ya’ll think about the Ride like a Pro videos? Has anyone benefited from them? . . .

Excellent videos! Succinct. Spells out the exercises to progressively build skills; especially slow speed. It does take more than a few hours though and regular practice is key. Very worthwhile and very reasonable! I've benefitted.

You'll enjoy your new ride for sure. All the Best.

Back