free website stats program Going from a Sporty to Electra Glide | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Going from a Sporty to Electra Glide

Back in Dec 08 I went from an 02 1200 XLC to a 2009 Rg. Talk about intimidating at first, but once you get use to the stopping, slow speed turns, there is no turning back like others said. The first ride was eventful, 4 way stop, but the left hand turn was almost a u-turn, well I wasn't use to the longer wheel base and almost went off the side of the road.

From the solid mounted 1200, 5 speed, carb, short shocks to long wheelbase, 6 speed, EFI, air ride shocks, music, both my wife and I love it.

Good luck!

I went from sporty to eg in 2000. I think it handled better and did curves better.I am 5'8 and have no problem. I now ride a 2012 Road glide. Lots of luck enjoy,

Have to concur w/Melzy on this bike model swap...I'm another Sporty to Touring rider & the FLHX is definitely very nimble. Of course adding 300lbs takes a little getting used to, but having tunes, extra storage, beefier suspension & a fairing for wind protection really adds distance to your daily trips. Get ready to be gone longer, spend more on gas (ride more) & you'll be explaining to people why you can't get the smile off your face. Good luck w/the new scoot & ride safe!

Also, for the seat height, Mean City Cycles can make it fit like a glove on you & the bike. It's much cheaper than new/aftermarket seat (1/3 the price) and well worth it. Here's their site: Mean City Cycles - Custom Seat Modifications

I went from an 03' Heritage Softail Classic to an 03' Electra Glide Classic (bought site unseen off E-Bay from Palm City, Fla. w/ 2,551mi. on it) last October and still haven't got the grin off my face !!!! There is no comparison ! The first thing I did was install the Progressive Rear Shocks and the Progressive Front Suspension ( dropped front and back 1") Changed the ride from a 53' Plymouth to a 2011' Vette----I'm only 5'9" and no longer have to worry about hitting the front brake with the handlebars turned either direction--it took all the mush out of the front end and makes it handle like a sports car! I can not recommend the progressive systems ( including the Tour Link ) enough, it's well worth the cost ! HAPPY< HAPPY< HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an 06 1200 sportster that my wife and I love to ride, over the first years we have had it we put around 4-5 thousand miles a yr on it. Two years ago we bought a 2004 EG classic,putting about 8000 miles on it each year (Sturgis,Great Lakes,Mackinaw City). We still ride the Sporty every chance we get when we are around home. The biggest difference is the Sportster has so much more torque and SPEED and handles with a lot more agility. It only takes me a few stops and starts to get used to either one any time I switch bikes. You will find that you now have the best of both type bikes. Have fun !

Sorry for the delay writing back. Thanks for all the support and information. I returned to California back mid September. Since then I was able to pick up my new 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Glide , and wow. I have put about 2500 miles on it over the past month and took it on a small trip to Reno. It is a great bike to ride. It took a little time to get used to it. Parking lots were the biggest issue. With the Sporty I would back into parking spaces, and with the EG, I have to look to see how the spot is sloped. I found out fast that backing it up hill is rough. I did swap the shocks out on the rear, to lower it just a little. I could ride it with stock shocks, but an inch lower makes a difference for me. I do ride the Sporty still, but often find myself looking for the radio volume switch, to adjust the radio. I also put my old EG shocks on the Sporty and the ride seems better. I would ride it around base, but I have to swap uniforms during the day and the EG makes it too easy just throwing my stuff in the trip pack.. spoiled..

I went from a Deuce to an UC, if I would have known how good they are I would have bought one sooner. The weight takes a little time to get used to but the ride makes life so good. Get a GPS or you might not find your way home again, short rides can go on for days! Enjoy and ride safe.

I went from a 2001 Sporty 883 to a 2006 Street Glide. Took a few miles (those were long miles) to get stable, but well worth the transition. Keep the Sporty for the daughter, she'll love ya for it. "2.) Invest in a map", is a true statement

Back