free website stats program Going from a Sporty to Electra Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Going from a Sporty to Electra Glide

Swampfox340

I would like to start off by saying hey. I have been hanging out around here for a while now, but just didn’t have any real inputs. Motorcycles are still new to me. Ask me about a Jeep and I may could help. I live near Fairfield, CA and currently have a 2007 Sportster Low. Over the past year, I have put about 15K miles on it. I haven’t had any real problems with it or riding it.

I am currently in Germany and have gotten a good deal on a 2012 EG. The new bike will be delivered to me in California when I return home. I am keeping the Sporty and plan on riding daily it to and from work. I just wanted a little bit bigger bike, because my wife and daughter often rides with me, and we enjoy going out on longer rides. My question is, after taking my time getting used to the EG, is there any crazy things I should know about the EG in terms of riding it? Are there any quarks that I will have to get used too? I am rather short at about 5’9”, but can sit flat footed on the EG.
Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

1.) You will need more money for gas.
2.) Invest in a map.
3.) With the additional luggage wife will be able to bring some of her stuff.
4.) Your wife and daughter may entice you to ride farther.
5.) Going out for a short put will end up being a couple of hundred miles.
6.) You will never get tired of riding the Glide.
7.) You will not have any more spare time for all your extra time will be riding
the Glide.
8.) You will go to places and see roads you never knew existed and may not
find again.
9.) The miles of smiles and memories made will last a lifetime.
AND NUMBER
10.) Be sure to say hi to the Sporty now and then for it may get lonely...:s

Take your time get to know the new bike, do some solo time before you take the wife or daughter on board. The new bike is of course bigger and won't corner like the Sportster, and you will do just fine.

Congratulations... now, train yourself to be fully upright when coming to a stop, and do not use the front brake when at very low speeds. Otherwise, the EG will go over on you and there will be nothing you can do about it. If it does go over a stop or very low speed, there will be no damage except to your pride, but if it gets too far over, do not try to stop it as you will hurt yourself. Other than that, say hi to the Sportster once in a while.

I went from a Dyna to a UC. Had to get used to the big girl since she had lots more windage and higher center of gravity than the Dyna. But I lowered her and got a Reach seat. That coupled with a "missing link" (actually the True Track "Trackula" kit), has made this bike VERY stable.

Not sure about the Sporty Low, since that may have a lower CoG than the standard Sporties, but the EG may have a lower CoG than the Sporty does, which you may feel as a more stable ride. But as the guys have pointed out above, you have more mass to contend with and all that implies (starting, stopping, fueling, turning, pushing, etc.).

TQ

I have had to retrain myself, I like to have just one foot down with my softail, The electraglide definitely needs two feet down , for me anyway. I love my softail, but the electraglide is really great. I was a little intimidated by the size at first, but after getting used to it, it really handles good. Oh, and the falling over got out of the way on the second day, it's all good now!

I would say the most important think is the difference you are going to have in controlling the EG. There is a lot more weight there so keep that in mind when out on the road. Stopping will take longer as the extra weight has more forward motion. Get comfortable with starting and stopping,turning is much different. I would ride solo for a bit until you are as sure as the sporty. Learn the correct procedure for picking the bike up as there is a good chance that you will be doing that someday. Most of all be safe and have fun.

I just went from a sporty to a FLHR. Use more rear brake than front at low speed and you'll be fine! Try to sell the sporty, there's no going back!!!!

You will definitely know that you are riding the biggest bike that you have ever ridden. It can be intimidating, at first.
But please reread everything dbmg has written because it is all true and all worthwhile. My sense of geography has expanded so much due to these long rides to nowhere on the weekends with my friends and solo! I love it and hate to see the season come to and end.
One useful tip that I picked up from this forum is, when coming to a stop, put your left foot down while depressing the rear brake pedal for more stability. And don't ever, ever, turn your front wheel and hit the front brake hard or you will dump the bike for sure. I know, it happened to me despite the forewarnings from HDTimeline members. i guess I needed to learn that the hard way. All in all, I think you'll love it! Good luck!

1.) You will need more money for gas.
2.) Invest in a map.
3.) With the additional luggage wife will be able to bring some of her stuff.
4.) Your wife and daughter may entice you to ride farther.
5.) Going out for a short put will end up being a couple of hundred miles.
6.) You will never get tired of riding the Glide.
7.) You will not have any more spare time for all your extra time will be riding
the Glide.
8.) You will go to places and see roads you never knew existed and may not
find again.
9.) The miles of smiles and memories made will last a lifetime.
AND NUMBER
10.) Be sure to say hi to the Sporty now and then for it may get lonely...:s

#7 lol so true:D

Back