free website stats program "Get a new rider on the road" challenge! | Harley Davidson Forums

"Get a new rider on the road" challenge!

Porter

To my way of thinking, the more responsible motorcyclists I can get on the road, the better. Getting them to choose an HD...bonus points.

A friend of mine who recently moved back to MD, fell in love with a V-rod years ago at a motorcycle show, when it first came out. He took the riders edge couse and got his license but he never got around to getting a bike.
To put the bug in his ear and since he moved back, I offered to let him ride my 2007 UC and my wifes 2002 Dyna Low Rider. We are planning to head out tomorrow and practice in a parking lot for a bit and then hit some back roads when traffic is light. I am about 95% sure this will break him and he will be at the dealer in a week.
My goal is to try an get two people riding, before 2011 is over.
Imagine if all the members on this board got 1 more rider on the road?
I see so many people that take a good hard look at motorcyles riders when you pull up and park or when you pass people in cages. I think that many may be very curious, but are afraid to ask. And, if you are interested, waiting and finding a "Demo Days" at a dealership can be tough.

So, I throw down the gauntlet to you fine HD Talking members: Can you infect another with your love of riding and HD? You could start the converstion with points on fuel prices and the relatively high mpg combined with riding "in style"....(I think the "style" factor helps cancel out high octane fuel prices and ~$200 tires, when you get them to commute on an HD!....it is difficult to put a price on style, isn't it?!?!?)

(Now to work on a coworker........:s)

A good friend of mine is taking the riders course this weekend. I didn't push him to do it. He and I talk quite a bit and he knows how much I've always enjoyed riding. About a month ago he decided he was going to sign up for the course, and he did. He's been on craigslist just about every day looking for bikes. He's pretty set on an HD. I keep telling him that we need to go down and let him sit on a few to see what feels right for him because he sends me CL ads to look at and they're everything from Dyna's to Soft Tails to Road Kings. I'm just glad he's taking the class so I'll have another friend to ride with.

My friend that I ride ATVs with is going to get his license next month. After that it won't take me that long to get him to pull the trigger on a HD of his own. He's been eying up some V-RODs for a little while now. Everyone else I know either has a bike or has no business being on one.

What a great idea. Over the years I have helped several nonriders overcome their fear, take the riders safety course and purchase a bike. I've never thought it a good idea to try to sell anyone on riding, but if they appear interested I will take the time to help them understand the joy of riding.

My friend that I ride ATVs with is going to get his license next month. After that it won't take me that long to get him to pull the trigger on a HD of his own. He's been eying up some V-RODs for a little while now. Everyone else I know either has a bike or has no business being on one.

What a great idea. Over the years I have helped several nonriders overcome their fear, take the riders safety course and purchase a bike. I've never thought it a good idea to try to sell anyone on riding, but if they appear interested I will take the time to help them understand the joy of riding.

Correct! Can "new to riding folks" be responsible and are they interested? Coercing is probably not in anyone's best interest, but perhaps we can make there first steps easier and informed. Of course, directing them to HDT would be a plus as well!:s

Just got one guy I met on a project to go take the course and buy his first ride. Hearing me and another guy talk about riding was enough for him. He got a sport bike for his first, but is renting a Dyna Low while we are in San Jose together next week...I may be able to get a new rider and get him to convert over to HD pretty quickly :D

Already did. My best freind has been considering it for quite some time. TOld him if he would take the MSF course I would let him ride the Fatboy and see if he liked it or not. He did and we took a couple 100 mile round trips. He bought a 103" Street Glide two months ago.

You could start the converstion with points on fuel prices and the relatively high mpg

I, for one, certainly don't ride with the intention of saving money. My jeep gets ~15 mpg, but when you factor in oil changes, tires, and routine maintenance on my bikes, I'm really not saving anything. It looks good on paper, but not a reality.....

Shakey

I, for one, certainly don't ride with the intention of saving money. My jeep gets ~15 mpg, but when you factor in oil changes, tires, and routine maintenance on my bikes, I'm really not saving anything. It looks good on paper, but not a reality.....

Shakey

True.
I think we all know you are not saving money and I wouldn't tell anyone that they will, especially with "customizing". I just said it was a good way to start the conversation...and don't forget "style"...:D:s:D

With my luck Ill talk a friend into riding and he will get killed and Ill half to live with that..:(.. Other than that its a great idea..:)

Back