free website stats program gas? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

gas?

Why do we always have conversation about the savings with one type of gas grade or syn vs dino oil that we use, then go and spend hundreds to thousands on some accesories that do nothing more than make them look good?:rofl:rofl

Why do we always have conversation about the savings with one type of gas grade or syn vs dino oil that we use, then go and spend hundreds to thousands on some accesories that do nothing more than make them look good?:rofl:rofl

Because we are like Sheep? Dont know but I guess it makes us feel good JMO:p

I always use premium and have found the increase in mileage more than pays for the extra price and I get better performance from premium.

I always use premium and have found the increase in mileage more than pays for the extra price and I get better performance from premium.

Makes me wonder whats next from CARB and our not so user friendly EPA, and the bazillion dollars the BIG oil companies stand to make by reformulating our gas again

I use 91 octane in my Heritage and it seems to be happy with that. We can get 94 here but the question comes up on how much 94 is used and how long has this gas been sitting in tanks, I dont want to pay top dollar for old gas. Another thing that I question at the pumps, when they have one hose and delivery nozzel and I select my high grade fuel, how much fuel is in the line before I get what I pay for not low grade the last guy paid for? I always try to fill the wifes Honda first.

I found the following information from glider and smitty.
I dont think thay said it any better.
Its all about the ping.

What is the right fuel to use? - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Community

glider

Re: What is the right fuel to use?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Higher than needed octane does little or nothing. Sufficient octane to eliminate the pinging is all that is needed to run best. Higher is just wasted money.

Fuels/Octane/Pre-ignition Detonation - Harley Davidson Community

High octane or premium gas burns slower than low-octane gas (regular gas). Therefore, combustion is slowed with premium gas. Slower combustion can prevent pre-ignition, or "pinging". Pre-ignition is ignition of the fuel/air mixture before the spark plug fires. The ping of pre-ignition sounds like marbles bouncing around inside the engine. The term "pre-ignition" is sometimes incorrectly used interchangeably with "detonation". The death rattle of detonation is an erratic and intense pressure wave that occurs shortly after TDC (top dead center) of the power stroke.
When the air/fuel mixture is ignited by the spark plug, a combustion flame front spreads outward from the plug accompanied by pressure waves created by the combustion. Detonation is caused by the amplification of two pressure waves combining to form an intense wave "spike", which then bounces around the combustion chamber surfaces, causing very-high temperature spots that ignite a second flame front. The "knocking" sound of detonation results from this secondary ignition and it's pressure waves which greatly shock-stresses pistons, piston lands, rods, crank and bearings. Schlieren photography of Harley combustion chambers during actual engine operation has revealed that detonation is not the result of "colliding flame fronts" as some believe. Most everyone does agree, however, that severe detonation will quickly destroy an engine.

The octane rating system used in the USA is RON + MON/2, where RON is the Research Octane Number, and MON is the Motor Octane Number. The ratings are determined on a dynamometer for a particular fuel. The RON dyno test is done without a load on the motor, and the MON dyno test is done with a load on the motor. The two results are then summed and divided by 2 to determine the rating of the gas which is displayed at the gas pumps.

An engine's octane needs are influenced by several factors, especially the configuration of the engine (state of mechanical tune, i.e. - cranking pressure, valve timing, ignition timing, operating temperature, plug heat range, carbon deposits, etc.) and each engine has it's own distinct octane requirements for optimum operation. For example: If your engine only needs 89 octane to run properly without pre ignition, the use of 91 octane will not increase performance! Conversely, the use of 87 octane, when 89 is needed, will result in pre ignition, overheating and poor performance. Once you have established the actual octane needs of your particular engine for ping-free operation, the use of higher octane gas is only wasted money!

Octane - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Community

smitty901

Higher the Octane the SLOWER the fuel burns, running an Octane out side what your bike is designed and tuned for is not good.
higher Octanes are needed in very high compression engines to slow the detonation of the fuel just as a bit lower is needed in some engine so fuel will detonate when it should. There is a bit of wiggle room built in and in some conditions a little higher in extreme heat can help.
Higher Octane fuel will produce more power in an engine designed for it.
110/130 av gas is a bad idea except in really high compression engine built to race. Also AV gas has additives in amount not normally used in autos and motorcycle fuels.
And don't even think of JP8 it is a light kerosene.

Back