free website stats program gas? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

gas?

I usually use mid grade or high grade. Very seldome do I use the low grade. I have noticed that when I do use the low grade there is knocking-pinging in the engine. Especally when the air temp is hot.

FUEL FOR THE FIRE!!!!

If you hear a ping or a Knock , you may be doing damage to a harley motor...

Ion sensor or Not,,, 91 or better is needed on fuel.(.) and for the added $ for it is worth the price.

Have You checked Your build date on the 2000 bike???

If it is a dec. 15,1999 build date IT Has the cam drive bearing that can go POOF.... Locate date and see on the front down tube is a sticker with the build date..... Let me know Just out of curiosity please

thanks
signed....BUBBIE

Smitty901 has my feeling about octane and choosing 93 which may be too high and a waste of money. HD specifies 91 octane as a recommendation. I do follow it, but still check and see how my personal bike performs using different grades. I usually allow the fuel to run down to 1 gal in the tank and take it to the highways and mountains to load the engine at different levels (including two-up fully ladened load). When you hear that light metallic tinkle sound of pinging...you have found the lower limit octane you should run in your machine.

Go one grade up and try again with later on. I have found the mine runs at 89 octane (medium grade) and does not ping no matter how hard I throttle up or load the bike. I do however when traveling always put in 91 or highest as most areas quality of gas varies and choose stations that have good amount of traffic, less chance of picking up bad gas. Just my way...

Found a station locally that sells ethanol-free gas and have been giving that a try to see if it makes any type difference. $2.98/gal 93 octane. I'm on my 3rd tank with the first 2 tanks giving me about the same mpg (40-43 avg) per tank that I've been getting with the 10% ethanol based gas thats in this area.

Can't really tell if it's making a difference in overall performance as I still have the stock air filter and no fuel manager which has it choked down. Only clear difference I can tell is on the ethanol-free, it's quick to fire-up on a restart after the bike is warmed up. Restart is crisp with no lag. The ethanol based gas always seems to produce this sloggy hiccup on engine restart when the engine is up to normal opearting temperature.

I use 91 octane in my Heritage and it seems to be happy with that. We can get 94 here but the question comes up on how much 94 is used and how long has this gas been sitting in tanks, I dont want to pay top dollar for old gas. Another thing that I question at the pumps, when they have one hose and delivery nozzel and I select my high grade fuel, how much fuel is in the line before I get what I pay for not low grade the last guy paid for? I always try to fill the wifes Honda first.

Charlie that is a great point about there only being one hose . I was thinking about that the other day when I was filling up. Anybody out there know the answer to this?

Back