free website stats program gas? | Harley Davidson Forums

gas?

09 deluxe

I have had the chance to get some great info from everyone about oils, (motor, primary, tranny), but one thing I forgot to ask about was gas. I was talking to another rider who said I was wasting my money on high octane gas for my deluxe. He told me he had used high octane in his bike, switched to regular grade and could not notice any difference at all. What's everyone putting in their bike at the pump?

I use the 93 octane, It might not make any differnce. my owners manual says use ,I think atleast 91 oct.so I get the better.. why take a chance, we are only talking maybe a dollor on a fill up..My uncle drives a gas truck for a name brand comp. He told me that they add more additives to the 93 oct., and they add it when they put it in the truck.. so he knows for a fact that the super has "something" that the reg. don't ? good or bad I sticking with the 93 ...Good luck and ride safe....

I have always used premium fuel in all my bikes. For the minimal difference in price and in 25 years of riding and only having 1 fuel related problem needing carbs overhauled I think I have been winning.
Hope i am not jinxing myself.

I think that for the most part you will find mid grade gas will do the trick for you. If you are riding 2 up or into the wind or higher elevations or hills you might want premium. Run the mid grade and if it is not pinging keep on using it. Now ethanol is junk gas in my opion. Corn is for eating not for fueling engines. It is a major food staple for the majority of the world and by us using it for making fuel we are creating shortages and driving up the price. The only benifit of corn gas is corn is a quick renewable resource.
kemo

I was talking to another rider who said I was wasting my money on high octane gas for my deluxe. He told me he had used high octane in his bike, switched to regular grade and could not notice any difference at all.

The next time he says that to you, reply with this and see what his response is...

"The Delphi Ion sensor sub system must be working like it should. I thought you knew that when using lower octane fuel, the electronics will kick back or retard the timing in order to protect you against the mistake you are making. But Hey, whatever works for you. On MY air cooled engine where cylinder head temps reach over 300*F,, I stick with Hi Octane & HD TALKING!"

See what he says and report back for more!:p

Hoople I think that he will say, ha what you talking about.! I had a friend that ran a gas station and he said the only fuel that you really know the octane of was premium. He said that the gas truck could drop any thing in the regular storage tank but only premium went in that storage tank.
kemo

Kemo,, meaning that the low and mid grade can be Premium but the premium grade can Not be a lower grade?

I usually use mid grade or high grade. Very seldome do I use the low grade. I have noticed that when I do use the low grade there is knocking-pinging in the engine. Especally when the air temp is hot.

I think the best answer would be, "sorry, there's no such thing as wasting money on my Harley!"

Premium all the time for me!

I usually use mid grade or high grade. Very seldome do I use the low grade. I have noticed that when I do use the low grade there is knocking-pinging in the engine. Especally when the air temp is hot.

I am pretty sure your model year (2000) does not have any form of knock retard. If you do, it's not working. I believe the Ion sensor sub-system came out later around 2005. (?).

Back