free website stats program Fuel low light coming on too soon | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel low light coming on too soon

You have a 1.2 gallons left when the dash reads 5 miles to empty. I would bet on it. Unless somehow your EFI 09 is much different then my EFI 04. You can probably go another 100 miles. I would have to test that.

That is what I am going to find out this week. Going to ride bike until reserve says 5 miles to go then see exactly how much the fuel pump will pump past that point into a jug. Measure exactly what it takes to re-fill. Re-calibrate float if necessary. Bike has an analog mechanical pointer plus electronic reserve. Tied of guessing & should not have to do math every time I think I need to re-fuel.

Your probably right but for me having 1.2 gallons after the float says 5 miles to empty is way too conservative. I am going to make it say 10 miles to empty when I have 10 miles of gas left.
I don't need to set my alarm clock an Hour and a half before I need to get up!:p

That is what I am going to find out this week. Going to ride bike until reserve says 5 miles to go then see exactly how much the fuel pump will pump past that point into a jug. Measure exactly what it takes to re-fill. Re-calibrate float if necessary. Bike has an analog mechanical pointer plus electronic reserve. Tied of guessing & should not have to do math every time I think I need to re-fuel.

Your probably right but for me having 1.2 gallons after the float says 5 miles to empty is way too conservative. I am going to make it say 10 miles to empty when I have 10 miles of gas left.
I don't need to set my alarm clock an Hour and a half before I need to get up!:p

if i were testing for fuel capacity distance id carry a small petrol can with me and ride till it runs out then refill from the can id be carrying 5 litres thats the size of a small fuel can here and it would esily fit in the saddlebag or on the rack rear seat would be another place to carry it or in a back pack

Brian

if i were testing for fuel capacity distance id carry a small petrol can with me and ride till it runs out then refill from the can id be carrying 5 litres thats the size of a small fuel can here and it would esily fit in the saddlebag or on the rack rear seat would be another place to carry it or in a back pack

Brian

Would be the easiest way. You know you should have 1.2 gallons when you bike says you have 5 left(from past experience). Plan your trip to end up (based on mpg) very close to a gas station. Even if you know within .2 gallons it would be good. Plus you would have the backup gas can if needed.

Brian

Yes, that would be a Great way to get the answers I am looking for with far less work.

I can see forming the float arm is going to be a good guessing game. It just may be that the float will make contact with the metal tank before the collected valley of gas is used up. Then I will never get the system to read correctly and I will be back where I started. We shall see.

Would be the easiest way. You know you should have 1.2 gallons when you bike says you have 5 left(from past experience). Plan your trip to end up (based on mpg) very close to a gas station. Even if you know within .2 gallons it would be good. Plus you would have the backup gas can if needed.

Yes Exactly. That would do it. Heck I could live with a .2 error. It's that extra gallon I wonder about. I am also sure some fuel is not reachable in the tank when it is low. Along with component displacement volume that may account for another .3 of the 1.0 (?)

Last edited by a moderator:
My light comes on after my gauge gets to around 1/8 then When the needle contacts the peg It takes 4.6 gal to the first click of the nozzle, (do not click twice as you will get a gas bath lol) all it took was one time to learn that lesson

My bike is a bit older and does not try to tell me how far I can ride when it thinks I am getting low on gas. But it does turn on the idiot light when it thinks the tank is sort of low. I use that as a reminder to look carefully at the fuel gage (not reliable) and the trip odometer to use a best guess of how much further I can go before I am gonna be pushing the big beast. I have never run COMPLETELY dry, but have been low enough that it stalls when I brake coming to a stop at lights or signs. I have been collecting mileage and refill volumes since I got the bike. Below is what the data looks like over that last little while - blue is mpg, green is $/mi. Largest refill volume is 5.427 gal on 9/23/09. Average miles/full tank is 166.8. So I REALLY start looking for gas around 155 miles depending on how I have ridden the bike since last fill up.

I know that having the electronic indication so far off is annoying. So work around it until you have time to fiddle with it.

TQ

Attachments

• Big bike mileage.jpg
    Big bike mileage.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 32
My light comes on when I fill up my tank and turns off after I burn about a gallon...bottom line I don't even pay attention to the light. I have an LED gas gauge from Kuryakn which is pretty good, although I have run out of gas 2 times now, so I still haven't learned my lesson.

Since the last time, I usually fill up around 180 miles on my 5 Gallon Dyna tank. That is as far as I am pushing it since walking to the gas stations the last time was not too much fun.

Last edited:
I have been collecting mileage and refill volumes since I got the bike. I know that having the electronic indication so far off is annoying. So work around it until you have time to fiddle with it.

TQ

TQ nice chart. If i understand it correctly, Blue is MPG made up of city & highway, with each dot being a fillup. Would you happen to know if your tank is quoted in manual as being 6 gallon.?

They all do that!:newsmile100:

They all do what. Have an inaccuracy of 20%. Think about it, based on percent of error, there really is not a reason why they should be that far off. Yes they may all do it but for me that should not make it acceptable. I can't think of too many places where anyone accepts 80% accuracy as ok and acceptable. From my experience the metric manufactures seem to get down to the drop so it can be done.

I will know more after I tear into mine this week. There may be more to the story than I realize.

Back