free website stats program Fuel low light coming on too soon | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel low light coming on too soon

Tanner2

I've seen a lot of comments that people are having this problem. But does is constitute a problem other than annoyance?

It's usually an adjustment of the float that will make the reading more accurate but the dealers will tell you different.

My light comes on sooner that I think it should. I would feel like a real dummy if I ran out of fuel, knowing the light had been on for 50 miles. :34:

I've seen a lot of comments that people are having this problem. But does is constitute a problem other than annoyance?

It may be neither. There are lots of people (including myself) who have commented on the accuracy of stated Tank capacity vs True capacity volume vs gauge accuracy but only a few have stated what gauge readings are at the time of running out of fuel which is really the bottom line. The numbers and tolerances are VERY wide indeed.
As Glider stated, it really requires a float adjust for your particular set of circumstances (tank rheostat, float arm shape, gauge sensitivity and gain). Probably something I will adjust when I change my fuel filter because it does bug me..

My 05 has an A & B trip odometer, I reset A whenever I fill up and am good for 145 miles before reserve. Just an idea you might want to try know where you're at...

My 05 has an A & B trip odometer, I reset A whenever I fill up and am good for 145 miles before reserve. Just an idea you might want to try know where you're at...

But aren't you basing the reserve light coming with a condition that was never tested. By that I mean you probably have never ran the bike to "dry" so you probably don't know what your reserve truly is.

You may be lucky and your set up may be perfectly accurate. But I can't believe mine is even close. Owners manual states 4.8 gallon capacity. Dash read out says 5 miles to empty but yet I can only pump 3.6 gallons max when filling. Yes, parts take up volume in tank but is manual stating theoretical tank volume, gallons times MPG range or what? I have no clue.

My bike doesn't have a reserve light, I was just stating how I monitor my fuel status. And you're correct, I've never had the bike start sputtering looking for gas as it gets down to the reserve..

The question was,Does anyone else experience this problem? I've riden for over 30 years and know not to trust electronic fuel gauges.Yesterday, after riding over 150 miles with a couple fill-ups, the low fuel light wouuld come on as soon as 5 miles after topping off tank! Basically, I'm thinking about disconecting the light so it is not an annoyance.

But aren't you basing the reserve light coming with a condition that was never tested. By that I mean you probably have never ran the bike to "dry" so you probably don't know what your reserve truly is.

You may be lucky and your set up may be perfectly accurate. But I can't believe mine is even close. Owners manual states 4.8 gallon capacity. Dash read out says 5 miles to empty but yet I can only pump 3.6 gallons max when filling. Yes, parts take up volume in tank but is manual stating theoretical tank volume, gallons times MPG range or what? I have no clue.

You have a 1.2 gallons left when the dash reads 5 miles to empty. I would bet on it. Unless somehow your EFI 09 is much different then my EFI 04. You can probably go another 100 miles. I would have to test that.

The question was,Does anyone else experience this problem? I've riden for over 30 years and know not to trust electronic fuel gauges.Yesterday, after riding over 150 miles with a couple fill-ups, the low fuel light wouuld come on as soon as 5 miles after topping off tank! Basically, I'm thinking about disconecting the light so it is not an annoyance.
Is it getting worse? Or has it always came on after 5 miles. Sounds like a defect more then a adjustment.

Mine is the opposite, I have .3 Gallons left when it comes on. Mine should light up a picture of a guy pushing a bike instead of a Gas Pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine comes on when I have about 1.8 gallons left. My Lo light come on and I still have about .8 gallons. I would rather err on the side of caution.

Back