free website stats program Fuel low light coming on too soon | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel low light coming on too soon

I also have a 09 1200L Sporty that I bought new. I have the same problem with the fuel light and the dealer has had it three times to fix but remains the same as yours.
I ride to work every day with a combination of street and freeway so I have a real constant fuel usage, my light comes on consistantly at 3.o to 3.3 gallons to fillup. that gets me 150-160 miles so for me no problem, I start looking for gas at 150.

My new 2009 1200L seems to come on early.
I had dreams of going 200 miles on a tank of gas, oh what luxury over the 100 miles on the Daytona, when my fuel light came on at 100 miles on the new bike. It took a little over 2 gallons.
I have a 4.5 gallon tank, so that is about 2 gallons left, having the fuel light come on at 1/2 a tank is sort of worthless.
I am not sure if the dealer had filled the tank up to the top when I picked it up, plus the MPG will likely go up after break in....

So, I will do what I always do, reset the trip meter on filling up, and looking for gas at about 150 or 175 miles?

The gas must slosh around a lot in the tank, I wonder how the low fuel light is triggered, it gets below a point and trips the light which stays on?
I am sure they don't want the light going on and off all the time, so there must be some sort of averaging, or latching setup.
Results might be much different for steady hiway riding, where the fuel might not slosh around much....you might get much lower before the light comes on.

Brett

FWIW - I've got a 2009 EFI with the 3.x gallon tank. The idiot light comes on randomly. After I fill up, its out for about ten minutes, then will come on for about 2 mins and go out again, at any speed. It aslo comes on and stays on anytime I'm going over 60, no matter how much gas is in there. It goes out when I drop my speed. I think I'm just going to put a piece of electrical tape over it and stick with the trip meter method.

Back