free website stats program extended warranty | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

extended warranty

Personally I'm not big on warranties. If you are the type of person that prefers to have a Harley mechanic do all your work then it's definately a good deal and I'm sure will save you money in the long run. However, half the fun for me is working on the bike myself and fixing my own problems. It's usually not very expensive for the parts alone and I like spinning wrenches as much as I like riding.

To each their own. The real advantage I see in the warranty is repairs on a long trip. I typically ride locally and the farthest I get from home is about 200 miles. At that distance I can call a buddy with a trailer to pick me up and bring me home. If I ever start doing serious long distances I will probably buy a new bike with the warranty.

The furthest I have been from hom is over a thousand. If I need a major repair and I am that far fromhome, I will rent a uhaul van an do the repairs at home....but my last trip was only a fork seal and I had the replace the tire while they were at it...300 bucks. Plastic took care of that...first repair in 4 years. My bad, rear rocker box leaked and cost me 15 bucks for parts.
So far I have spent 315 bucks, and as long as I don't have a 1,000 parts bill b4 May I will be ahead of the game....as I did not buy the warranty that the dealer makes over 300 bucks selling it to you....

I'm debating on buying an extended plan before my factory warranty expires next June. So far my bike has had an oil cooler leak, the radio had to be replaced, and the ECM had to be sent to HD for reprogramming. I'm just wondering if those problems are a sign of what's to come.

I just got my bike back from the dealer. I had an inner primary bearing go bad. Approx a $600 repair cost me $50.00 on the ESP. I slipped the tech a $50.00 bill when I picked my bike up, as he took me in every time I came over to the shop and showed me the problem and the repairs he was going to make. I also know Harley techs don't make a whole lot of cash. Tech gave me a lot of good info about ESP. Thanks Don!

I'm debating on buying an extended plan before my factory warranty expires next June. So far my bike has had an oil cooler leak, the radio had to be replaced, and the ECM had to be sent to HD for reprogramming. I'm just wondering if those problems are a sign of what's to come.

Not a bad idea IMO. My '10 ultra started to have issues right after warranty expired, plus I had 2 significant breakdowns on a trip this summer when I was 4500 miles from home. Both dealers asked "do you have extended warranty? you should if if you are going to ride that bike like you do"

If you put a bunch of miles on a bike and plan to keep it for the long term, I think it's worth the cost. I bought a new 13 Ultra w/7 year warranty. I put on average 25K a year and plan to keep it for 7 to 10 years.

If you put a bunch of miles on a bike and plan to keep it for the long term, I think it's worth the cost. I bought a new 13 Ultra w/7 year warranty. I put on average 25K a year and plan to keep it for 7 to 10 years.

Well, congrats on the new Ultra! I extended the factory one for another three years just because of all the forum talk about this and that going bad!

I have a little rental place over on Lafayette Ave in the old Kirkwood area of Greensboro. I see your post and think of home. Thanks! :breakdance :cheers

Back