free website stats program Exhaust /Helmet road block | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust /Helmet road block

This past weekend in Massachussetts at the intersection of rt.62 and rt. 140 in Sterling {a very well traveled motorcycle route} a road block/safety check was set up.It spared no bike from any direction.While it seems I somehow escaped it I have had numerous e mails of those not so fortunate.Tickets were issued and bikes were towed.
It seems they used the bikes tach. against us.A question for those electrical guru's is How do I rewire my tach with a KILL switch?

thats what i figured you were gonna say .. but question is are they using it correctly the decible meter that is

As I picked my bike up this week from the shop there was a guy there who had received a ticket for a non-DOT helmet in the communist state of Maryland. The fine was $200 and I think he said one point. He went to court with a DOT helmet, showed it to the judge and the fine was reduced to $100 and was not charged with the point on his license. Evidently this is an easy way for the cops to pull in some additonal revenue for the govenor.

The wife has an officer friend from way back...Seems the state troopers have had a local police training program geared towards motorcycle inspection in place for some time.All's a local PD need do is subscribe and buy in.In this case a very popular watering hole's nieghbors had had enough.
As said before bikes are getting towed and ticketts issued,scarey stuff in your own back yard."WELCOME TO TAXACHUSSETTS"

Without trying to start another "loud pipes" controversy, make sure you read the comments (link) at the bottom of the editorial to get a feel for what we're dealing with here. Seems some people think the "vast majority" of us wear fake DOT stickers on our cheap plastic helmets. Also it's apparent that some riders with ultra loud pipes or even semi loud pipes but no respect for others helped bring about this type of stop.

Everyone better simply wake up and smell the coffee. This is the direction, sad but true, the entire country is headed thanks to a small percentage (I hope) of motorcyclists who only care about themselves and how macho they look and sound. More and more areas are starting to ban bikes (Atlantic Station in Atlanta and many of the plantations on Hilton Head Island). It's obvious to most of us that these are discriminatory laws - they should be anti noise ordinances, not anti motorcycle ones.

As several have posted on here - go ahead and mod your pipes to your heart's content, but you better hang on to the stock pipes if you catch my drift.

OK, now I'll slip into my asbestos suit in preparation of the flaming to come from those who love their loud pipes and would rather permanently park their bikes than ride them with stock pipes.

Doc,

No flame-throwing here. I think you make a lot of sense.

Some interesting comments by some of the readers.

As to the part about taking photos of the bikes and taking license info down, that sounds more like anti-gang unit activity. Wonder if they consider membership to H.O.G. or AMA is the same as being a gang member?

Back