free website stats program Engine shut down | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine shut down

norton77

05 Fatboy, HD slip ons, K&N, PCIII.
Bike runs great, sometimes will shut down with no warning. Like hitting the kill switch. I have power but it will not turn the engine until I cycle the ignition switch. It then starts and runs like nothing ever happened. Research tells me to look at the TSSM. Turn signal and security module which also contains the bank angle sensor. The part alone is about $250.00 I really dont want to start throwing parts at it. Anyone have similar issues?
Thanks in advance.
MikeM

If it has the circuit breaker type fuse. Replace it.

I had a problem on my 03 heritage years ago no codes but would just quit sometimes it seemed after hitting a bump,then I noticed if I wiggled the ign switch just a little it would die. It was due to corrosion on the contacts,spray some wd-40 into the switch see if cleaning it helps. Cheaper than simply throwing parts at it.

Bike runs great, sometimes will shut down with no warning.

How frequently does it happen. About how many times in total has it happen.
Does the speedo loose time of day set? When it happens, is speedo still showing time of day?

MikeM - I have had the same problem tonight on my 2012 Fat Bob (Stage 1 Screamin' Eagle tuned) runs fine then just died. Recycled ignition and kill switch restarts fine....happened again half hour later ! I welcome any suggestions !!

I think I have the solution - I was told that changing the battery in the Key Fob sometimes works....I did that today and no more problems !!

Bike runs great, sometimes will shut down with no warning. Like hitting the kill switch.

I think I have the solution - I was told that changing the battery in the Key Fob sometimes works....I did that today and no more problems !!

I'm pretty sure that won't fix it. At least with a "hands Free" FOB, once the engine is started, the FOB no longer has control over the ECM/TSSM. It would have been suicide for Delphi to design it any other way. I am sure the same holds true with the earlier button fobs like you have.

I would bet the farm that your problem will return.

Back