free website stats program Engine shut down | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine shut down

Had same problem, as if Kill switch was hit; believe it was deteriorated engine stop/run switch connector inside nacelle. Cleaned connector [22], Right Handlebar switches, applied dielectric grease, now solid, but still too early to celebrate.

May this be helpful: At first, engine would cut out while riding, cycle ignition key and run/stop/run switch, restarts no issue. Then required multiple cycles. Happened about 5 times while riding over 3 days.
At home, found 2 intermittent symptoms:
1) Diagnostic mode returned ‘no rSP’ on the ECM test, first P. Requires Eng switch in Run position to display a code or ‘nonE’ and then the Pn. It was.
2) Ign ON, Engine switch to Run: Fuel pump would not prime and Eng light would not come on for the initial 4 seconds.
Otherwise all normal, Security key on for 4 sec, then turns off and stays off, ie no codes.
Dealer was out of stock on Stop/run switch, so :eam checked pin 3 and 4 of connector [22] (Run switch) and found switch itself to be consistent and solid. Cleaned and greased pins; no more symptoms; so far all good.

Hoople is right (no surprise here):
… ‘with a "hands Free" FOB, once the engine is started, the FOB no longer has control over the ECM/TSSM…’
Check: Start up, walk away with the FOB, motor keeps running! I would think it’s also required to allow startup with the pin.

Hoople......was right :-( Cut out twice again today...

Pigsnot you posted - 'Had same problem, as if Kill switch was hit; believe it was deteriorated engine stop/run switch connector inside nacelle. Cleaned connector [22], Right Handlebar switches, applied dielectric grease' - do you mean connector [22] actually in the switch on the right handlebar or somewhere else ?

Right handlebar switch connector 22 in the nacelle, headlight housing. (07 RoadKing) I separated connector, cleaned pins by scraping with a very small flat blade screw driver. Hard to do with anything else as it’s very small, then applied dielectric grease on pins and pushed connector together several times. I think just pulling the connector apart and re-connecting a few times would work too as fresh contact is made with the pins and sockets.

From the Service Manual;
Replace the Engine Stop and Engine Start Switches as a single assembly even if only one switch is determined to be faulty
Since the manual says to cut the wires ¼ inch from the old switch and solder the new switch wires to the wire harness, I would think the switch assembly is a sealed unit??!

FYI: Ronnie’s has a parts list Microfiche on line to select your year and model. Link below.
Scroll down, under FRAME, click Electrical-Handlebar Switch Assembly.
It seems your connector is [20] for '10 Fat Bob. Can you see if the switch wires go to your head lights, or ???

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's Harley Davidson Street Bike Parts Finder

I will have a look, your'e right about the switch connector being [20] I think. I am away from tomorrow so probably not get a good look until 27/28 August. I don't think the cable goes into the head light, I will have a look. Will still take the top cover off of the switch assembly and clean out with electro-lube ! Many thanks for the help and Ronnie's page link should prove useful !! If I have posted twice its an error on my behalf....this is the proper post !!! Take it easy and I will keep you updated :)

Thanks for all the ideas. I am still leaning to the TSSM. Turn signal security module.
There was a recall on older bikes for the same thing. Too bad it wont act up when someone with diagnostic abilities can look at it.
Its dangerous. Never know when it may happen.
Anyone with ideas, feel free to post. I am wide open. Doing some research, it happens on a lot of bikes.
Thanks

Well it seems as though I may have the answer for the fault I had. HD Glasgow UK suggested one of the Relays on the fuse block, they sent me a replacement and so far the bike is running fine !! The fault had got worse whist i was away for 10 days in that it would not start at all....the replacement relay fitted and bike started first time AND i have about 5 hours riding done and no problem. It was the black relay of the 2 (one black one grey) not sure if American spec bikes are the same?

This is REALLY GREAT when the members POST problems that were FIXED..

We ALL learn from this..

Thanks for the attention to POST the fixes for repairs...:s

NOW if we can get norton77 fixed:D

signed....BUBBIE

This is REALLY GREAT when the members POST problems that were FIXED..

We ALL learn from this..

Thanks for the attention to POST the fixes for repairs...:s

NOW if we can get norton77 fixed:D

signed....BUBBIE

It will be interesting to hear what he finds wrong with his. Keep us posted snortin' Norton.(that's what my Father called his Norton 750)

Thanks for the reply and possibility. I will certainly check into it.
At this point all ideas will be considered.

Thanks and Cheers
MikeM

Back