free website stats program Engine shut down | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine shut down

I have been asking the same question on a 02 FXDL. I had it happen once when the bike was relatively new. Then nothing. About 04 I put in an after market ignition and used it for a few years, then went back to the stock ignition because a week battery cause kickback and i really did not like it, since then it has shut down three times in about a year. I will see if the same happens with the aftermarket ignition as far as i remember it never cut out. I was suspecting the bank angle switch, but now i am not sure.

I just recently did a bar swap and I'm having the same issue, engine randomly shuts off whenever it feels like it.. 99.9% of the time, if I cycle the run/stop switch, it will backfire and start right back up... it will fire right back up every time, but sometimes it would do it several times back to back... havn't checked my connections yet.. but i can't help but think it points to the switch since when i cycle it, it runs again, but Im no HD wizard, I know enough to hang myself.. any ideas would be great..??? thanks

Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: RANDOM Engine shut down

I just recently did a bar swap and I'm having the same issue, engine randomly shuts off whenever it feels like it.. 99.9% of the time, if I cycle the run/stop switch, it will backfire and start right back up... it will fire right back up every time, but sometimes it would do it several times back to back... havn't checked my connections yet.. but i can't help but think it points to the switch since when i cycle it, it runs again, but Im no HD wizard, I know enough to hang myself.. any ideas would be great..??? thanks
You may not get much activity on this post seeing that it's 3 years old.

You may want to try what was suggested in the posts above, sounds like a similar issue.

Back