free website stats program Eliminate Self-Canceling Turn Signal | Harley Davidson Forums

Eliminate Self-Canceling Turn Signal

ChopperDoc

2000 FLHTC - Which wire do I remove from the Turn Signal Control Module to stop them from self-Canceling?

2000 FLHTC - Which wire do I remove from the Turn Signal Control Module to stop them from self-Canceling?

Upload the page from the service manual that shows the pin-out of the TSM. In addition to lean angle or VSS distance traveled, there may be a default "time out" for signal cancellation. Therefore it is possible you may not be able to fully disable the feature.

I find on my 2000 FL that the signals don't stay on long enough. 20 flashes and they cancel. I think that is unsafe, often I haven't completed a turn and and the signals have cancelled and I didn't realize that they were out.
kemo

It seems to me Glider had a post once something to the effect it works off of a rev counter deal? Number of revs at some point shuts it down? May not be able to un-hook it it it tied to the crank position switch...look in the "Self- Help and Tips" section

not the easiest solution but, if you hold your signal button in longer, the countdown begins as you release it. this has helped me in most situations. not real easy to hold it while working the clutch/throttle, but is good to give early warning and get you through a turn.
I also think the signal should be active much longer.

On my 93 sportster i found that when on the main roads i had to hit the button 3 times to be on the right amount of time and i found it a serious distraction to keep having to look at the dash panel to see if they were still flashing as it worked by a wire from a sensor in the speedo consulted my wiring diagram and pulled the green wire from the tsm connector now i get to decide when it goes on and off that one worked purely on distance and distance was good in town but not good on open road

Brian

I don't know the development history of the ECM/wiring harness. By 2008, the wiring seems to be multiplexed. (One wire communicates several items of information.) The auto turn signals required WAAAY too much attention, never knew when they were on when I didn't want them, and off when I did want them. I pulled the wire from the plug to the TSSM and fixed the problem, but the Check Engine light and security light are now on continuously. I hated the auto signals so much that the end result was OK with me. I took the lens off the speedo and put some almost invisible electrical tape over the offending lights and am now very happy with 100% manual control over the TS. You very well could have the same results on your machine., will it be worth the unintended consequences to you? There are threads in several different Harley forums on this. I only have the 2008 RK manual and I have no idea what color the wire might be on a 2000 scooter. Don't have time at the moment to look up the description of the 08 wire, will try to get back later.

The auto turn signals required WAAAY too much attention, never knew when they were on when I didn't want them, and off when I did want them.

2011 is the first year of true multiplexing that I am aware of.

Don't know of any changes to the 2009 bikes vs the 2008 but on my 2009, I thought the MoCo "nailed it" with the design of auto cancellation. For me it is near 98% perfect in every way. The number of blinks, distance traveled, MPH threshold and lean angle all make up the algorithm of cancellation. Once in a Blue Moon (other 2 out of 100 times) I will have to over ride the system.

I wonder if yours was working like it should?

Back