free website stats program Eliminate Self-Canceling Turn Signal | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Eliminate Self-Canceling Turn Signal

On both my 2008's, they seem to work perfectly. As long as you are setting at a light, they will blink forever. If you are moving, they will time out after a while, but I have never had an issue with it. I would not want to change them.

On the 08 Road KIng, it is the "serial data" line to the tssm, pin #3, light green with violet stripe. If there is a serial data input on the 2000, chances are that will do the trick, but with the other consequences previously described.

I remember the days of the turn signals you had to hold in while turning and they stunk. Making a left turn, slipping the clutch while holding the button down on a slow speed turn, what a pain. I would never think of disconnecting that feature. They stay on plenty of time for turns. If on the freeway in a straight line and I want them to stay on longer, I will hold the button in longer before releasing it to keep them activated longer.

This is a very good feature and IMO the MOCO got it right, I would not change it JMO:s

My old CB750 had to manually cancel. If riding in heavy traffic it was a distraction to remember (San Jose freeway rush hour back then). I absolutely love my self cancelling on my 08 Softail. previous poster's right, it seems like it is set up reasonably well for the timed cancellation delay.

2011 is the first year of true multiplexing that I am aware of.

Don't know of any changes to the 2009 bikes vs the 2008 but on my 2009, I thought the MoCo "nailed it" with the design of auto cancellation. For me it is near 98% perfect in every way. The number of blinks, distance traveled, MPH threshold and lean angle all make up the algorithm of cancellation. Once in a Blue Moon (other 2 out of 100 times) I will have to over ride the system.

I wonder if yours was working like it should?

I agree - I love them on my 2009 Ultra

2000 models do not have the serial interface - came in 2004. My guess is that the 2000 is more or less the same as my '91, which only had two variables for turning them off - timer and speed, whichever came first.
On mine this did not fit my riding style, so I removed the non-power/non-blinker cables. Now it turns on at the push of the switch, and stays on until I push again. My '88 XL did not have a module, and you had to hold the switch in for the blinkers to do the same - totally idiotic (the japs had at the time a three-way sliding lever with push-off: simple, and working).
Anyway, check you wiring diagram, and you will find that it is really simple (except multiplexing which has been around for some years on European cars; they are a nightmare ot try to understand. if sometihing fails, you're in trouble).

2000 models do not have the serial interface - came in 2004. My guess is that the 2000 is more or less the same as my '91, which only had two variables for turning them off - timer and speed, whichever came first.
On mine this did not fit my riding style, so I removed the non-power/non-blinker cables. Now it turns on at the push of the switch, and stays on until I push again. My '88 XL did not have a module, and you had to hold the switch in for the blinkers to do the same - totally idiotic (the japs had at the time a three-way sliding lever with push-off: simple, and working).
Anyway, check you wiring diagram, and you will find that it is really simple (except multiplexing which has been around for some years on European cars; they are a nightmare ot try to understand. if sometihing fails, you're in trouble).
Hey Carlsbike - What color wire(s) did you remove from the connector?

I can't find the post, but about six months back there was one that said cut the (can't remember the color) wire and you will be able to manually cancel the turn signals. That is what I want to do. I have run a bunch of searches and can't find the posting.

As for the why, my turn signal module is bad. On right turns it will only blink two or three times and turns itself off. I don't want to spend the $140.00 right now to replace the module I just want to be able to turn them on and off when I want.

I agree the self canceling is a great feature and I would leave it alone if mine worked.

When and if the flasher part of the module quits working, I will replace the module and reconnect the self cancel. But for now I would just like to know what wire(s) I remove to make them manual. As I said in my first post, I am old and people expect me to ride around with my turn signal flashing. Someone has to validate the stereotype, may as well be me.

Hi ChopperDoc
I did it several years ago, when I rebuilt my scoot to a FLHR and used a speedo that did not have the reed switch. I would have to look at what I have, but I do see that the wires are different on yours (I do not have bank angle sensor or EFI). Anyway, this should not be difficult - a quick look at a wiring diagram for 2000 FLHT, module pin numbers:
#1, BK = from bank angle sensor & EFI/Carb harness = Sensor
#2, O/W = from speedo & interconnect harness 15B, and to the rear = Power
#3, BN = Interconnect 1A & rear lighting 7B = blinkers
#4, V = as above
#5, W/GN = EFI/Carb, interconn 2A, speedo = sensor
#6, = nothing
#7, W/BN = Interconnect 1A = blinkers
#8, W/V = as above
Note that this is based on (my) logic, and I do not know for sure. But, try to remove (not cut!) the #1 BK and the #5 W/GN from the connector (not sure if you have Deutsch or the old style connector?).

Thanks Karl. I will give that a try. And yes, I planned on removing the pin(s) not cutting the wires. If this doesn't work, I will remove them one at a time untill I get the desired result and post my findings.

Back