free website stats program Electronic Throttles | Harley Davidson Forums

Electronic Throttles

Zamadan

Has anyone had any experience or heard any feedback on the new electronic throttles on the 08 Touring models. May look at upgrading when I go in for a stage one this January.

JMHO but I would stay with the cable myself. It's a new system for HD and I'm sure it would be an expensive proposition to convert it as opposed to the benefits.

I can see it now when you bring in a bike with a problem with the fly by wire system.

Customer:
I was cruising down the road yesterday when all of a sudden the motor revved up on it's own and before you know it I was doing 110 miles per hour.

Dealer:
Oh....They all do that:D

Give me a cable drive any day.

Electronic throttles have been around for many years. Yes, this is the first year for Harleys, but to call them junk looking for a tow truck is serious ignorance. Same worries were expressed about electronic ignition or fuel injection. Personally I would not change cables for the electronic throttles on my bike, but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new bike with electronic throttles. Technology is wonderful and continues to grow at a rapid pace.

I don't think I would go so far as to call it "serious ignorance" by a long shot.
The cable drive has been around much longer than the drive by wire and is simple setup. I had drive by wire in a previous performance car and didn't really care for the feel of it myself.
The way I look at it is this. If a cable on the older system breaks you can still get home using just a bit of ingenuity. If the fly by wire goes out, your only option is a tow truck.
For now we will not even discuss the cost of repairs comparing the two systems.

Let's not even get into the dealership level of ignorance here when they can't even diagnose or repair most common problems on these bikes now and the lame statements they make " they all do that" when it comes to something they don't understand.

I have seen dealers that can't seem to understand service after the sale and now another electronic system is added to the harleys that they already didn't understand???
I'll take the cable...Thanks!

Electronic throttles have been around for many years. Yes, this is the first year for Harleys, but to call them junk looking for a tow truck is serious ignorance. Same worries were expressed about electronic ignition or fuel injection. Personally I would not change cables for the electronic throttles on my bike, but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new bike with electronic throttles. Technology is wonderful and continues to grow at a rapid pace.
I'm Ignorant of a lot of things but Harley Davidsons aren't one of them. 5 of the 6 street bikes I now own have EFI, and I'm differently not Ignorant about it, But I still don't trust it, Eventhough it has several redundant backups to get you home in-case of CPU failure, and if the throttle CABLE breaks I have and can ride them home. Electronic throttles on the other hand, If a throttle servo goes out or rheostat goes out. YOU CALL A TOW TRUCK!!
And then pray you find the 1 Mechanic that UNDERSTANDS it and can fix it before winter setts in.
I also have a 1966 FLH that only requires a good kick to ride - no electronic bull anywhere.

Perhaps we should just go back to points ignition, generators it's benefit. Fear of technology does tend to hold people back from experiencing it's benefits.
Rode them for years and still do at times. They work fine, have for over 100 years!
Got no problem with technology ether as long as the benefits out way the crap.
Some things in life are best made as simple and screw-up proof as possible!!
Anytime I don't want a steel cable connecting MY hand to the "twist here to go fast" handle I'll let my ol'lady drive! And that hasn't happened in a long time :nosad

Still like the advance and gen on the 69 Shovel. Only thing is at the end of the season one leg is larger than the other, kick, kick, kick.

I was worried about the electronic throttle before I got my Street Glide. I got some good feedback from local repair guys and the dealers. Since I picked up the bike I havent noticed any real difference from a cable throttle. (maybe a tiny bit of lag when coming off a stop). Great response when I need it in a passing situation and I havent had a chance to do a stage 1 or pipes yet!

Back