free website stats program Electronic Throttles | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Electronic Throttles

That is true what you heard about the digital tech to access the system, it's also true about the ABS brakes too. Dealer services in the future.

Thank's glider,i was pretty sure it was accurate info but don't want to be spreading rumor's.Hmmmmm,now just have to wait and see how long before some one pirate's digital tech,not that i support that type of behavior :rofl.

:worthy,glider your the man,if i ever hit the lottery i'll be sure to set you up :D.Until then,going to enjoy what i got :yes

I love new technology, ONLY after it has been ROAD tested a couple of years by some other poor Saps. :D I have served my time as guinea pig already.:s

I just picked up my 08 streetglide saturday.After 400 miles and a quick read on the tech tips to figure out how to lower the start up rpms, I must say I like it alot.As I work on cars for a living I must say the etc doesnt scare me.Some of the arguments against ive read are simply nieve.Some of you may be driving cars right now with ETC and you dont even realize it.As for Harley locking up the repairs, its no different than needing someone to boot and dyno our power commanders.Ive got my extended warranty and my old springer as backup.In the end they have us by the (edit)I wanted a new bike and they were fresh out of the 07 models.I figure they will work it out to one or two bugs and we'll be required to carry around a spare sensor or relay.Not a whole lot different than having an extra lightbulb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody (Glider?) educate me.

The pre-2008 throttle used push-pull cables to move what? Not a butterfly plate, so what did the engine end of the cables move? An engine mounted throttle position sensor?

I went through this ETC learning curve in the helicopter engine world on the '90s. First time we put in a new technology turbine with electronic engine controls, the mechancal throttle controls were left installed for the most part. At the end of the 40+ mechanical linkages, we put an LVDT (high tech linear potentiometer) and fed the voltages to the engine ECM (FADEC in helo speak). There was no difference in how the throttle grip felt to the pilots. But the engine governing was FAR superior. Nowaday, the twist grip has the RVDT (high tech rotary potentiometer, same as the HD ETC) that duplicates the feel of the classic mechanical twist grip. The industry will never go back.

So, just like I had to re-learn how to start my truck when GM switched to digital ECM and fuel-injectors (don't press the gas pedal), I learned to do the same thing with my 2008 RK. And just like with my truck, I've learned to appreciate the electronic setup. I haven't seen 2% of the problems I used to expect with carbs & mechanical linkages. (OH $%^&, I just put the MOJO on my truck! Get ready to call a wrecker.)

All us brave 2008 HD technology warriors will carry on with the ETC learning curve and serve as test pilots for the entire HD nation. It's our duty!

Midwing

Somebody (Glider?) educate me.

The pre-2008 throttle used push-pull cables to move what? Not a butterfly plate, so what did the engine end of the cables move? An engine mounted throttle position sensor?

The cable setup moves the throttle plate (butterfly plate) in the throttle body on the engine end of the cables in the pre 08 bikes.The shaft on the opposite end of the throttle body operates the TPS (throttle position switch) which is basically a potentiometer that sends info to the ECM to take care of engine management.

No use debating the subject, it is a fact of life! As the years go by there will be even more integration of the electronics into the bikes. Right now bikes are years behind what is being done on automobiles.

My '01 BMW has electronic throttle control, ABS, and traction control integrated into a system they call Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) that works great. On a wet road you just about can't do anything that will get that car out of shape. The electronics gets it straightened out before you know it wasn't.

I'm riding a '08 Ultra and I find the ETC works pretty well. I'm a huge fan of the ABS. Now that the Harley's have ETC and wheel speed sensors from the ABS, it is a short step to implement traction control. Traction control and ABS will make it difficult to get yourself in trouble when the traction goes away!

I can't wait!

Back