free website stats program Electronic Throttles | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Electronic Throttles

Well I have the warranty on my 08 and I will bug them to death if I have problems. Will there be any problems doing a stage 1 on my 08, I don't know but I'll find out next week. I'm trying to decide on Vance and Hines Ovals or Rhineharts (sp). Want a deep rumble but don't to wear ear plugs. Suggestions please.

No use debating the subject, it is a fact of life! As the years go by there will be even more integration of the electronics into the bikes. Right now bikes are years behind what is being done on automobiles.

My '01 BMW has electronic throttle control, ABS, and traction control integrated into a system they call Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) that works great. On a wet road you just about can't do anything that will get that car out of shape. The electronics gets it straightened out before you know it wasn't.

I'm riding a '08 Ultra and I find the ETC works pretty well. I'm a huge fan of the ABS. Now that the Harley's have ETC and wheel speed sensors from the ABS, it is a short step to implement traction control. Traction control and ABS will make it difficult to get yourself in trouble when the traction goes away!

I can't wait!
Just so we are clear here, traction control would require more than one drive wheel.Also not a big fan of abs on bikes,more than one power slide has saved my butt.

Well I have the warranty on my 08 and I will bug them to death if I have problems. Will there be any problems doing a stage 1 on my 08, I don't know but I'll find out next week. I'm trying to decide on Vance and Hines Ovals or Rhineharts (sp). Want a deep rumble but don't to wear ear plugs. Suggestions please.

Picked up my streetglide last week only to be upstaged by another fl being picked up with Rienhart true duals.The thing sounded real nice,wish I went that route.

I have vance and hines ovals on my road king I do not really like the sound not a deep rumble but you don't need ear plugs.

Traction control moves the power away from the wheel that slips.
If you only have 1 wheel it will have 100 % power even if it slips

More accurately in the words of the auto manufacturers...

It moves the power from the wheel that slips to the wheel that grips :D

2 wheel drive bikes? Hmmmm....Interesting theory:D

Regarding the 2008 ETC high idle "anomalies":

Several times I have reset the ETC on my '08 RK using the on-off three times (without starting) trick. Thanks to the forum and Glider for the method.

But I got the same high idle again yesterday, but this time I noticed something else. The play in the grip (the dead zone) between rolling on (increasing throttle) and the rolling off affects whether it idles high or idles normal. The ETCs have a "reverse" zone. As you release the throttle, it is spring loaded to unwind back to the neutral zone, where it idles. You can keep going in the unwind direction past the neutral zone, which is how you turn on/off the heat management system. The reverse zone also comes into play when you reverse it to kick it out of cruise control.

Yesterday, I could rotate the grip purely within the neutral zone and if would go from high idle to normal idle. It was only 2-3 degrees rotation.

So here's my theory. On start up, the ECM reads the position of the ETC and assumes it is in the neutral zone. It probably assumes it is in the "most rolled on" part of the dead zone. If it happens to be on the "most rolled off" part of the dead zone, that small difference in what the ECM assumes is the idle position of the ETC will lead to a high idle when you put your hand on the grip.

I propose that one of you other 2008 ETC owners remove your ETC and send it to me for further investigation. Ship it to:

MWGB's HD ETC R&D Laboratory
666 Big Hammer Drive
Anvil, Texas

I will return it (using your pre-paid shipping) after I complete the investigation. In the mean time, you can file a warranty claim. Just tell them it fell out while driving and you can't find it. I'll post the results of my investigation in the very distant future.

MWGB

Back