free website stats program Electrical Trouble Shooting | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Trouble Shooting

I have a 97 Ulta Classic this weekend when riding in stop and go traffic, running in first and second gear my bike just shuts down, no electrical at all and my radio fuse blows, happened even after the fuse had blown, starts back up in about a minute. Any ideas?

Check and/or replace the circuit breaker. It should be found just off the positive lead. Check all connections and pull the radio fuse out and leave it out while testing everything else.

1997 HARLEY DAVIDSON FLHT
NHTSA* Vehicle Safety Recall Number: 98V158000 Date: 19-Jul-1998

Build Dates: 19-Apr-1993 through 19-Jun-1998

Manufacturer Filing Report: HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY

Manufacturer Responsible for the Recall: HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY

Number of units affected: 55013

Component affected: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH

Defect Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: FL TOURING MOTORCYCLES. A LOSS OF ELECTRICAL POWER THROUGH THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN OCCUR DUE TO EXCESSIVE CURRENT AND OTHER FACTORS.

Possible consequences resulting from defect: THIS CONDITION CAN CAUSE THE ENGINE TO FAIL TO START, OPERATE ERRATICALLY, OR STALL.
Has this been done to your bike?

Battery was dead, when I hit the start button the speedometer maxed out to 120 and stayed there. I thought it would come out of it, but it hasn't. Is it broke?

I did the diagnostic, no codes, but the speedometer does not sweep like it should when activated. Can I assume the speedo is bad?

Bad speedo. When it didn't sweep while activating the diagnostics, I was convinced it was pooched. Off to the Harley shop, bought a new one.

I have 94 soft tail fat boy, with no brake lights, no turn signals, no tach, and no speedometer. Head light & tail light burn. Recently had a new Harley ignition switch installed, the bike was being turned off & on by a toggle switch. I read two different electrical articles, one telling me to check the fuses, and one article stating that their were no fuses only circuit breakers. I can't find either one. Can someone please tell me where the circuit breakers are located. Pulled the seat and battery nothing in that area. Helppppp Please.

Back