free website stats program Electrical Trouble Shooting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Trouble Shooting

hello , sorry if im interrupting this diagnostic conversation but im new to this site and new to using forums but I have an issue with my bike back fireing and I have reason to believe that it is electrical related and was hoping I could get some help, so my problem goes that my bike had an issue backfiring when I first got it and was a simple fix because it was the exhaust someone had put on the bike and pulled out the baffles so no baffle equal not back pressure ment backfire , fixed that by putting a complete new set on but now just pulled a lot of the bike apart trying to put new bars on which I did and completed I got new crush gaskets for the heads and got everything buttoned up nice and it now backfires , so im thinking in messing with the wiring to install new hand controls I may have disconnected a small plug I found hanging around under my seat that seems to be the only loose end I can find and im wondering if it would have something to do with the backfire the bike runs and drives fine but backfires so obv not running correctly just wanted to let it known that it is running , the plug almost looks like a small computer plug iwas just unsure if this is a plug that is unused and im just chasing this non issue ... any help would be greatly appreciated , thankyou !!

Can you describe the plug a little better. Does it have 2,3, or 4 wires to it? Also what are their colors. I'm not sure where your Data plug is on a Dyna, they also may have an Access. plug there.
tourbox

Welcome to The Forum, I believe the data link on Dynas are under the left side cover, at least mine is, The plug under your seat may be your front o2 sensor or rear lights, just for grins un plug it and see if your tail lights still work

Here's a Puzzle for ya:
OK, here we go...I'm Driving (yes Driving...because you DRIVE a HACK, NOT Ride!)...down the Road, I come to a RED Light & STOP, so I'm setting at the Light for a few second's, my Bike just QUIT'S!!! NO POWER, NOTHING! Si I push her up a Driveway into a Auto Repair Shop & call for a Towtruck...I wait for about 10 min. & try again..."NOTHING". Towtruck comes, take's me Home...so I have a Used 30 Amp Fuse & replace my MAIN BREAKER...Bike's Running again! COOL!!!
So I go to the Harley Shop (in my Ol' Lady's Cage to get a NEW 30 AMP. FUSE (Don't trust the used one...) so I install it in my Bike & go for a PUTT...as I veer into the Left Turn Lane, Hold Sig. Button & apply Brake's...come to a complete STOP & in about 3 second's my Bike DIE'S, "AGAIN"!?!?!? NO Power what-so-ever...so I push her across the Street, up the Driveway & into a Parking Lot...let her sit for about 10 min. & NOW she has Full Power & off we go Home! I let her sit then started he up, pulled he into my Garage (a 20 Foot Storage Container) & when I STOPPED, she DIED AGAIN! ???
So I figure that it has to be in either the STOP LIGHT SWITCH or Wiring to the STOP Light!!!
Any other opinion's...?:nosad

i have a 2002 flhtciu i can be riding a long & the bike shuts off like u disconect the battrey shuts off i have two cycle the ignition to restart the bike. it doesent do it all the time

pan4u have you checked your battery connections, both ends to make sure they are clean and tight?

my yellow fuel warning light comes on when the gauge is registering just under 1/2 tank, when that happens the fuel gauge moves to "full'. Is this something I can fix? Ride is a 98 electra glide.

my 2003 sportster has new battery, new spark plugs, ignition module is only 2 years old, its getting gas.. turns over but wont fire... any ideas?

my 2003 sportster has new battery, new spark plugs, ignition module is only 2 years old, its getting gas.. turns over but wont fire... any ideas?

What kind of module? Is your coil testing OK?

Back