free website stats program Ear plugs | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ear plugs

huh, good thing i came here first, i would have never guessed the wind would be that loud.

thanks fellas!

i used to work in a production facility that would stamp out metal parts for 4 wheelers and the like - sometimes it got real loud, i went to walmart and bought a pair of earplugs from the hunting/fishing section that are suposed to be for shooting guns, they where super comfortable and blocked out a LOT of sound...im talking about quiet enough to hear yourself breathe

i have since lost them because im not that bright...they where blue with a red string between them (kept them from getting lost...apparently that dosent work as well as i thought it would) and they had this awesome little round blue box......i might try to find another pair and keep a closer eye on them this time.

I spent 20 years in the Navy working around very noisy turbine engines and have tried many types of plugs. IMO there is no such thing as a comfortable ear plug. The more you use them the less you will notice them. Stick with one type and your ears will adjust faster. I use the el cheapo E.A.R. plugs and don't notice them when first starting out, but at that first gas stop I'm ready to get them out for a few minutes. Some types pull out when you put a lid on so if you use one take it along if trying out some newfangled type.

I have an MP3 player (little one about the size of a lighter) and ear buds. It doubles as wind noise reduction and tunes. I would not leave home without it. Yes, I can still hear the rumble of the pipes so all is well!

As pointed out in another thread - loud pipes, no windshield, and ear plugs might be perceived as being a bit of a jerk. (plugs to not hear the loud pipes) If you notice getting mud-looks from someone, you might find a way to explain that they are for wind noise.

I use the orange foam kind that you twist and stick in your ear from walmart. Cheap and they work. And i can still hear people talk, my radio and the bike. Just not the wind noise that gives you a headache after a long days ride.

Well from the number of replies I can tell that lots of other folks have the need of them besides me. I tried ALL of them with some success but the best ones ever are the soft plastic cones that get larger towards the outside. The softer ones seem to go in easier. I also like the kind with a cord on them to grab and pull them out cause I have to stick mine in there pretty good to do the job. I cut the cord off to only about 2 inches long. Don't like it hanging long.

I have a whole collection of different kinds, but the best ones so far are the construction plugs down at Home Depot.

Back