free website stats program Dobeck TFI | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dobeck TFI

I got the stage 1 with just the TFI and no down loads, not a problem with that is there.

Unless I'm mistaken, I'ts my understanding that the TFI overwrites the download anyway, and the download would actually be a waste of money if you were going to use a TFI, I'ts now been well over 1000 miles and my bike's been running great with no issues at all since I re-installed the new TFI,:D no plans for any downloads here!!

Unless I'm mistaken, I'ts my understanding that the TFI overwrites the download anyway, and the download would actually be a waste of money if you were going to use a TFI, I'ts now been well over 1000 miles and my bike's been running great with no issues at all since I re-installed the new TFI,:D no plans for any downloads here!!

dosnt overwrite it just makes it tunable

dosnt overwrite it just makes it tunable

Yea 'OVERRIDES' would be a more appropriate desciption. It can't overwrite it since it's not a hooked to the ECM. In fact even the piggybacks that are hooked to the ECM don't overwrite the actual ECM, they just intercept the data going to the ECM and manipulate it.

From what I gather of the TFI it ignores the ECM totally and 'ADJUSTS' the injectors directly based on the settings dialed into the TFI. It does intercept the data coming from the ECM to the injectors and overrides it there.

Yea 'OVERRIDES' would be a more appropriate desciption. It can't overwrite it since it's not a hooked to the ECM. In fact even the piggybacks that are hooked to the ECM don't overwrite the actual ECM, they just intercept the data going to the ECM and manipulate it.

From what I gather of the TFI it ignores the ECM totally and 'ADJUSTS' the injectors directly based on the settings dialed into the TFI. It does intercept the data coming from the ECM to the injectors and overrides it there.
Actually, what happens is not overwrite override, or ignore. What a actually happens is the ECM sends out a specifically timed pulse to each injector. The wider the pulse, the longer the injector is open, and the more fuel is presented for combustion.

What the ECM sends to the injectors actually gets there, straight through the TFI. What the TFI adds is, using special load-based alorithms, it extends the amount of time (widening the injector 'on' pulses) that the injector is open, without letting the ECM know that it is doing it. What this does is, it allows the ECM to use it's complicated and effective monitoring and processing to provide a mapped fuel mix to the engine. The TFI essentially adds a user-selected amount of additional fuel to the mix by extending each injector pulse by some amount, based on user setting and detected instantaneous load.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Actually, what happens is not overwrite override, or ignore. What a actually happens is the ECM sends out a specifically timed pulse to each injector. The wider the pulse, the longer the injector is open, and the more fuel is presented for combustion.

What the ECM sends to the injectors actually gets there, straight through the TFI. What the TFI adds is, using special load-based alorithms, it extends the amount of time (widening the injector 'on' pulses) that the injector is open, without letting the ECM know that it is doing it. What this does is, it allows the ECM to use it's complicated and effective monitoring and processing to provide a mapped fuel mix to the engine. The TFI essentially adds a user-selected amount of additional fuel to the mix by extending each injector pulse by some amount, based on user setting and detected instantaneous load. Enjoy, Rich P

Thanks for the very detailed description. Better said than my crude one, although I was correct in that it overrides the ECM by your own description of widening the pulse. It's placement directly at the injector does this without the ECM having any report of it. Admittedly I did err when using the 'ignore' word. That part was wrong, it does not ignore but rather by it's placement in the delivery link, overrides what it gets from the ECM.

Thanks for the very detailed description. Better said than my crude one, although I was correct in that it overrides the ECM by your own description of widening the pulse. It's placement directly at the injector does this without the ECM having any report of it. Admittedly I did err when using the 'ignore' word. That part was wrong, it does not ignore but rather by it's placement in the delivery link, overrides what it gets from the ECM.
I suppose you could see it as 'override', but it would better be expressed as 'builds upon'. The ECM remains the primary brain, while the TFI adds a supplemental layer of tweakability. However, all you can do with the TFI is 'tweak' just a bit. It is an essential bit, but, nevertheless just a tweak. Your ECM should still get the lionshare of credit for your running engine.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I suppose you could see it as 'override', but it would better be expressed as 'builds upon'. The ECM remains the primary brain, while the TFI adds a supplemental layer of tweakability. However, all you can do with the TFI is 'tweak' just a bit. It is an essential bit, but, nevertheless just a tweak. Your ECM should still get the lionshare of credit for your running engine. Enjoy, Rich P

Well I'll give you that. You remind me of an engineer I worked under once. But yes if you send me 10 bottles of beer for the party and I add 2 bottles of beer to the case before I deliver it, then yes I am 'BUILDING' on the order and not overriding it.

Back