free website stats program Dobeck TFI | Harley Davidson Forums

Dobeck TFI

Wayne R

Hello, I Have an 02 Roadking I bought my TFI generation 3 about 9 months to a year ago not exactly sure would have to find the paperwork to be exact, well here's my problem recently I have noticed a slight smell of gas when riding from time to time, then the bike would do a slight hesitation also from time to time, and the last time I rode the bike the motor had a major hesitation when you rolled the throttle and wouldn't excellerate, I was able to baby the bike back home and the engine showed a code came up, the motor however would idle with no problem, I disconnected the ground wire from the TFI in my garage and saw no difference, so now I brought the bike into the dealer for repair, yesterday they called and asked me if they could take the TFI out of the system and said they were suspicious of the unit, I had told them I disconnected the ground and the unit was out of the system, they told me that the code which came up was the injectors not working and further said removing the ground did not completely remove the unit from the system, they called me later in the day and told me they removed the unit and emphasized how great the bike ran now, I know dealers don't like aftermarket products and am worried about the bike may still have a problem, unless of course the unit is bad as they claim, I really don't know what I should do next and was hoping you could help, Up until now the bike has run great with the TFI on the bike.

Umm I haven't received my TFI yet but from reading tech papers I would 'guess' that you have too rich a mix on one of the settings. You might backing them off a bit (in steps) and see how that does.

Some guys with more experience on this will be along shortly.

As with any electronic device, there's a possibility that the unit could have a problem but Dobeck isn't about to leave you hanging on this one by any means. I would ride the bike to see if the problem is still there and don't forget the possibility that you may have had a bad connection when you installed the unit or even a poor ground. Recheck all these possibilities and then contact Dobeck.

I'm sure they will bring back the smile again for you.

Also dealers don't like to admit that there are other fuelers others than their tuners that work well because there's no profit in it for them as well as the dyno tuning required with their units. It's a win/win for them selling their unit.

It is possible that the TFI has an intermittent connection to an injector. it was hard to find my intermittent connection, but the TFI had one. BE glad you threw a code. The folks at Dobeck did not hesitate to take the TFI back, and even let me upgrade to the Gen3 for just a small amount more. The would have sent me a new TFI for the price of return shipping to them.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Wayne R,
As mentioned above how is your bike running now without the TFI installed? Some electronic part could have failed and caused your issue. Please contact us about sending it in for inspection. Thanks.

Yep, Dobeck won't let you down - give 'er another try. Also, did the dealer try to sell you one of ther HD tuners..?? Thought they might try to slip that into the maint. deal...:s

I'm gonna call Dobeck tommorrow morning and find out about sending them the unit, I got the bike back tonight and it ran ok except for one hiccup or hesitation during a left hand turn and some decel popping at low speeds, so even though they say they cleared the code and it didn't return after removing the TFI I"m still worried that a problem exists and yes Iceman they did try to sell me a download, I told them no for now I wanted to put some miles on the bike and see how it runs.

I hope you do not have a stage-1 air-box on there, without a tuner or download. If so, don't run it like that for too long.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Just to update after I got my bike back I put some miles on the bike without the TFI and though I didn't have any major issues such as no power and or bogging when you rolled the throttle or any codes coming up, the bike had a lot of de-cel popping going on even at minor accellerations and every so often a minor hesitation, I did call Dobeck on the phone and they told me to return the unit and they would send me out a new one, Good people to deal with as said on this forum many times, they sent me out a new TFI with no hassles whatsoever, anyway I installed the new TFI back on the bike and took it out for a ride and so far the bike feels good, haven't felt the minor hesitations or had the constant de-cel popping that was going on, on this install I used the settings that came pre-programmed from Dobeck as the last time i found changing the adjustments a little difficult and i don't think i improved the performance from the original settings, this weekend is the Roar To The Shore event held in Wildwood NJ so I'll be putting a couple of hundred miles on the bike and will know for sure if my problems are over but looking good so far. Thanks for all the help and Thanks to the folks at Dobeck.

Any electronic part can have a defective component in them but it's the manufacturer of that unit that stands behind it gets my vote.:s

Dobecks is second to none for customer satisfaction.

Back