free website stats program Do you lock..... | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you lock.....

This is a great thread.
I have just purchased my Harley.I was locking the wheels to the frame with a massive lock and chain.But I fitted Fatboy wheels.So I can't do that anymore.
I lock the steering with a padlock and the shed is alarmed. But not far from here a Harley was taken during the day and his wife was home.They came in through the back window and opened the roller door and away they went.
So it still happens unfortunately.So keeping them locked seems to be the answer to keeping them. Good luck everyone.:)

I just bought a Xena XX14 disc lock. It fits perfectly on my 2006 UC. I like the new design of this lock, and the fact that it uses a single CR2 lithium battery instead of multiple watch batteries like the old models. I also like the fact that the alarm does not seem to be overly sensitive. It does not activate unless I handle the lock itself, or stand the bike up. In other words, it seems unlikely that it will have repeated false alarms. Overall, I'm very impressed. It did not have a reminder cable, as the alarm serves that purpose, but I plan to add one anyway just in case the battery goes dead. It is very loud! In addition to the ignition/fork lock, factory alarm, smart siren 2, and pager/receiver, I feel fairly secure. I also lock my backrest in the Tourpak when staying overnight at a motel.

I just bought a Xena XX14 disc lock. It fits perfectly on my 2006 UC. I like the new design of this lock, and the fact that it uses a single CR2 lithium battery instead of multiple watch batteries like the old models. I also like the fact that the alarm does not seem to be overly sensitive. It does not activate unless I handle the lock itself, or stand the bike up. In other words, it seems unlikely that it will have repeated false alarms. Overall, I'm very impressed. It did not have a reminder cable, as the alarm serves that purpose, but I plan to add one anyway just in case the battery goes dead. It is very loud! In addition to the ignition/fork lock, factory alarm, smart siren 2, and pager/receiver, I feel fairly secure. I also lock my backrest in the Tourpak when staying overnight at a motel.

I also have the Xena XX14 and I am very pleased with it. Big, solid piece of high nickel content stainless steel. The built-in alarm is a nice extra. I bought a reminder cable and it has saved me riding off with the lock attached. So, along with the ignition/fork lock, factory alarm, smart siren 2, and pager/receiver I feel pretty secure. I also have a cable lock to attach to another bike or a pole, etc. If thieves want my nearly stock 09 Road Glide bad enought to get around all this security, then they can have it.

I have an embedded anchor in my driveway and in my garage, if i am not on it,it is locked, alarmed and chained. I would like to meet the person who likes my bike more than i do.

We lock our forks and ignitions, even while parked at the HD Dealers.
Bikes that aren't locked do get stolen from places like that, even while piople are standing around them. And no one pays any attention because the thieve's act like they own it.And just drive off.
A coba type link thru the frame to two bikes and a good alarm is best if your going to be away awhile, becase they usually need a torch to cut those locks. Most of the time if a bike is stolen by a gang, 4 or more guy's will pick it up by sliding two pipes under it and pick it up put it on a trailer or truck, so in that case fork locks and rotor locks don't matter.
They usually follow the rider and watch them park and strike when your out of range. And usually they want something on your bike or type of bike ect.
Like a sceaming eagle high $$ bike.Just happened at a Mall in Frederick,Md a few months ago. Guy rode to the Mall locked the bike and walked into Sears, came out 5 minutes later and it was gone. It was a Brand New Screaming Eagle Model. They probably targeted him.
Make it as hard as you can for them and maybe they will go for a softer target. Also be aware of your surroundings, if you think your being followed don't go home or to a place that affords them an opportunity just continue to drive around a bit until your sure. Sometimes they want to see where you live and come back later. Also don't leave your bike parked for long periods in view at your residence if you have a lot of traffic at your house. If it is parked outside, cover it with a Metric brand cover"maybe they are looking for HD's. "Ha Ha". I don't think my insurance company will pay for bike that isn't locked if it is ripped off. Especially if the keys and are in it or ignition wasn't locked.

I have the smart siren II as well, it lets out some warning chirps if you are fumbling around the bike, stand it up and watch out! I have heard a story about a rider who had the pager system on vibrate, it went off, and when he hurried to the bike he met up with 4 people and a shot gun who wanted his bike. Could be an urban ledgend, but, could happen, peek around the corner to see what you might be gettin into, or have the entire store,bar, follow you out!

I noticed that,most of my brothers are from up there,Frederick way. I had a friend, Len Baily, had a bow shop in Rocky Ridge. We ride out of Thurmont Sheetz most times. how ya doin!

Since I'm an old crusty working stiff and have worked way to hard to get the scooters that I now have, yes... I lock 'em up. When out and about, I lock up the forks, and take the fobs with me. Just keep the honest, honest.

At home, in the garage, I add the Cobra link lock and intertwines through both bikes. Garage is locked at all times. Am I bit over the top... probably. :D But, I still have them both, which is good, so far. If they really want the bike, it would be gone, no matter what precautions I take.
Ugly John

I never lock my bike or set the alarm, if they want it they can have it, that is why I pay all that money for insurance. Just my opinion.

Back