free website stats program Do you let anyone ride your bike? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you let anyone ride your bike?

Not too many people are stupid enough to ask me. Those that ask, after the laughter dies down get a "NO". I have let a few (3) ride one of my older bikes (one was a trusted mechanic). I am amazed at the number of people who have offered to let me ride their bike or have asked me to ride their bike for various reasons. Even total strangers have trusted me, although I usually decline.

Not just 'anyone'. My two brothers and my two sons anytime. A couple trusted and experienced friends. That's all.

ride safe

I have couple of friends that I would let ride. Anyone who I would let ride it would have to meet some requirements.
1) Have my complete trust and cofidence in their ability to ride a bike.
2) Be able to replace my bike immediatly with a new one of my choosing or hand me $25,000 in cash.
3) Have a bike of their own that would be mine until we were able to go replace mine with the bike of my choosing.

This would be a resounding "no" on my part. Aside from damaging the bike, one would have to consider the legal ramifications if someone "not familiar" with your bike had an accident and hurt, or god forbid, killed themselves. With the way the legal system works today, you could be financially ruined...

I have some good friends that I ride with & we swapped bikes a couple of times while we out on a ride together , if I know the person and his riding skills I have no problem with it because I am right there riding their HD & they also have the same trust in me . But there are very few people that I would let ride my bike .

Learned from experience, I would let only a select few ride.

Here is why:

Approx. 14 years ago I let a "friend" take my Yamaha Virago 750 for a boot down the street. While speeding into a 90 degree corner less than 100' away from me, his/my rear tire slipped on a manhole cover and he went down. He slid into a curb and made contact with his head and shoulder. He was wearing a full face helmet, otherwise he may not be alive today. He got up from that with sore shoulder and the helmet was destroyed, especially the chin area. The bike also slid into the concrete curb and did extensive damage to the tank, headlight housing and bent the forks. He never gave me a cent after multiple attempts to get him to repair. And this is the guy who we set up with the love of his life and now they live happily ever after with 3+ beautiful kids.

The other example involves my cousin at the age of 30 who hopped on a Honda CR 500 and less then a minute later went into a deep culvert full throttle and died. God bless his soul.

I guess my point is:

- no one takes care of your stuff like you do

- you are liable -no matter what. The cost of the bike is trivial compared to the loss of someone's life who jumps on your bike for a quick joyride

- there are a few people who I would let ride, (inlcluding my brother) but they have to be current riders and ones that I know and trust

- ditto on all the comments ie if you want to ride then rent a harley or go to a demo day

It is just not worth it!

Not many people will ask to ride my MC. The ones that are likely to ask are likely to be told no. That said, I do have people I would trust to ride it. As an example, I have a close friend who was considering an 09 model. I trust him completely and I threw him the FOB. By the way, he now drives a 09 Scraeming Eagle RG, which I got to ride.

I let My Dad Ride My Bike already and He Loves it, I am still trying to get Him on a Harley! I would not let anyone else, it would have to be a serious Emergency for that to Happen.

No, unless it’s a trusted friend or family member who I am totally confident in their riding abilities. Its totally a safety thing as opposed to a personal issue.

Case in point: my neighbor bought a brand new Night Train and offered the bike to everyone to try. I was the only person who politely declined, and he was almost offended by it. A couple of months later his kid had a friend come over with his little 100cc dirt bike. The neighbor took it down the street, and in an attempt to be cool he did a wheelie and flipped the bike backward. He lost a little skin but a whole bunch of ego.

Naturally he now understands & respects my decision to decline his ride. It is way too easy for something to go wrong on an unfamiliar bike.

I really don't understand this mindset.
Friends and family are more important to me than some machine.
I've turned away a lot of customers at my shop when they try to tell me I can't test ride their bike.
They trust me to take it apart, but not to ride it?

I think that if you really read the comments here - they are stating that there are a few family & friends that will be allowed - YES , ALLOWED - to ride the owner's scoots. Now as far as your statement of customers not letting you "test" ride their bikes before or after you fix them - well I don't understand that one. Before I come pick up mine from my indy. I want it done the first time and if it means him taking it out for a spin to make sure, so be it!! And yes - it's just a machine - BUT - be it a $8k , $18k, or even a $28k scoot(which is alot of money out of anybody's pocket!!) - My mindset is - it's MY money and MY bike and it's MY decsion to let who I want on it. JMO!
Ride safe and take it easy !

Back