free website stats program Difficulty starting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Difficulty starting

+1, Bo. I agree. Sounds like it is the kill switch he's talking about. I wonder if he has stressed that switch by holding it down. Over time, that stress can add up.

"Stress adds up!" Understatement? Probably:D

Yeah I am wondering if the kill switch is working as it should?

"Stress adds up!" Understatement? Probably:D

Yeah I am wondering if the kill switch is working as it should?

One way to find out, take it apart, clean the contacts and lube with some dilectric grease:s

You must be referring to the kill switch. However, it shouldn't have to be held down. It should be a standard switch on or off.....
You are correct Bodeen. It is the kill switch. I guess because I am in the habit of always shutting my bike off with that switch I have to turn it on to start it. It is during that time that I see red light icon on my gauge, and wait for it to go off before I hit the start button.

You are correct Bodeen. It is the kill switch. I guess because I am in the habit of always shutting my bike off with that switch I have to turn it on to start it. It is during that time that I see red light icon on my gauge, and wait for it to go off before I hit the start button.

HC,

OK, no problem with using it to shut your bike off, in fact its a good practice.
In your original post, you said you "hold down the run button". That confused some of us, as it is a simple switch. Not something you should have to "hold down". Am I correct in saying that you just have to flip that switch and not hold it down?

Waiting for the lights to go out on thus year bike is necessary. I have the same year Road King and if I do not wait, the speedometer registers almost twice as fast as actual speed. You will notice when you turn the switch that the speedo goes to a bottomed out position for a split second.

HC,

OK, no problem with using it to shut your bike off, in fact its a good practice.
In your original post, you said you "hold down the run button". That confused some of us, as it is a simple switch. Not something you should have to "hold down". Am I correct in saying that you just have to flip that switch and not hold it down?

Waiting for the lights to go out on thus year bike is necessary. I have the same year Road King and if I do not wait, the speedometer registers almost twice as fast as actual speed. You will notice when you turn the switch that the speedo goes to a bottomed out position for a split second.
You are correct. I do have to flip the switch and not hold it down. For some reason I thought when I posted this that was the procedure that I used to start the bike. Nope. My thumb just rests there while I wait for the light to go out.
Speaking of the light going out, I do get the speedo acting weird from time to time. I didn't know it was from not completing the hold down cycle. That explains that.
Wanted to thank Hoop for taking the time to explain to me how to read the codes. I haven't don't that yet but I will save that useful link from him. It seems like a lot of forum members have a good understanding of reading codes. To me it is a mystery. I really ought to know how to do that!
Thanks all!
HC

Yes, I sometimes do not allow enough time for the light to go out before starting and the speedo will be very inaccurate. It happens when in very bright sunlight when the light cant be seen as well or just being in a hurry.
Next time your bike gives you the starting issue, try loosening the gas cap a bit and listen if your hear a vacuum or excess pressure release. Tighten cap and try to start. See what happens. You may have a plugged fuel vent line.

Yes, I sometimes do not allow enough time for the light to go out before starting and the speedo will be very inaccurate. It happens when in very bright sunlight when the light cant be seen as well or just being in a hurry.
Next time your bike gives you the starting issue, try loosening the gas cap a bit and listen if your hear a vacuum or excess pressure release. Tighten cap and try to start. See what happens. You may have a plugged fuel vent line.
I think you might be onto something there because I definitely hear a hissing like air escaping after several attempts to get it started. I will certainly remember that. It sure beats the alternative of just waiting around for 10-15 min. to try and restart. :( Especially when thunder clouds were fast approaching and I just wanted to hurry home from work and park her in the garage!!
Thanx!

I came across some additional info. A WOW test for DTC codes won't work on your year bike. Here is the correct way to extract & check for any codes.

Attachments

• 2003_DTC.pdf
    45.8 KB · Views: 10
I came across some additional info. A WOW test for DTC codes won't work on your year bike. Here is the correct way to extract & check for any codes.

Thanks Hoop. I appreciate it. I have saved it for future reference. The bike is back to normal and starting right up after work. Although I did unscrew the gas cap first this time just to relieve any pressure that may have built up in the gas tank from this heat wave that we've been having.

Back