free website stats program Difficulty starting | Harley Davidson Forums

Difficulty starting

horizonchaser

Contributor
This has happened to me probably 5 times since i bought my bike used 4 years ago and it happened again yesterday after work. I get out of work, hop on the bike, turn the ignition on, hold down the button 'till the light goes off on my instrument panel, then press down the start button. 99% of the time it always starts but this time it just kept turning over and wouldn't fire. :( After repeated tries, maybe 5, and with the onlookers from work making their usual anti Harley comments, I decided to give it a rest for about 5 min. Tried again and it still sputtered. So I waited about 10 minutes again and tried once ,more and she finally fired up.
My question is: Why does that happen? I mean, I start my bike all the time without any problems so why does this happen? Do I need to add maybe a fuel additive or something?
Thanks!

Is the bike EFI or carb. Since the problem only happens appox 1 time per year, or 1 time out of 300+ successful starts, you can't use conventional methods to diagnose the problem because your not getting any immediate feedback to the changes you make to the bike.

Check to see if you happened to log a DTC's. Once the engine is running, has it ever just quit or stopped for no reason. Engine starting is your only issue? No other concerns with hesitation, surging, fuel mileage, engine miss at idle etc

What's the mileage on bike. What have you done so far (plugs, wires, filters etc) in an attempt to fix this problem. Is the bike bone stock and if not, what changes (stage1, fuel enrichment, black boxes etc) have been made to it.

If its carbed, when cold I give mine two complete twists of the throttle before hitting the start button. Fires every time like clockwork.
If its not carbed, when it does start, does it start as if it were flooded with fuel or does it start as it normally does?

I think i'm missing something here hold down what button till the light goes off ? I've owned 2 injected harleys and dont remember holding down a button

I think i'm missing something here hold down what button till the light goes off ? I've owned 2 injected harleys and dont remember holding down a button

My thoughts also. Not sure what "hold down button" here.Have had 2 EFI & 1 carbd. and ???? button.

Is the bike EFI or carb. EFI Since the problem only happens appox 1 time per year, or 1 time out of 300+ successful starts, you can't use conventional methods to diagnose the problem because your not getting any immediate feedback to the changes you make to the bike. Agreed.

Check to see if you happened to log a DTC's. I don't know how to do that. :( Once the engine is running, has it ever just quit or stopped for no reason. No Engine starting is your only issue? Yes, other wise the bike runs great! No other concerns with hesitation, surging, fuel mileage, engine miss at idle etc Nope

What's the mileage on bike. 35,000 miles What have you done so far (plugs, wires, filters etc) in an attempt to fix this problem. Plugs were just replaced last month, and it really was never a problem, just this annoying, quirky thing that happens every once in a while and befuddles me. Is the bike bone stock and if not, what changes (stage1, fuel enrichment, black boxes etc) have been made to it.
Stage one, Dobeck TFI, air breather. I guess I'll just assume it is a freak occurrence that happens on rare occasion and just live with it.

If its carbed, when cold I give mine two complete twists of the throttle before hitting the start button. Fires every time like clockwork.
If its not carbed, when it does start, does it start as if it were flooded with fuel or does it start as it normally does?
It start as it normally would, although I swear sometimes it sounds like it backfires but i'm not sure.

My thoughts also. Not sure what "hold down button" here.Have had 2 EFI & 1 carbd. and ???? button.
Sorry, didn't mean to be vague. Directly to the left of my throttle on my '03 Ultra are two buttons. The run button, which is the button that i am referring to. and the start button to the left of it. When I start my bike I hold down the run button until the light goes off on my speedometer gauge. Right there in the center is a light that goes on. Don't you have that? When that light goes off, I then press the start button and she fires up ninety nine percent of the time. I just assume that button primed it for starting. What exactly is happening when the aforementioned button is pressed?

Here is the procedure to pull codes. It is from a 2004 manual. Don't know if it will work on a 2003 but no harm in trying.

Attachments

• WOW_FL_04.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 8
Stage one, Dobeck TFI, air breather. I guess I'll just assume it is a freak occurrence that happens on rare occasion and just live with it.

It start as it normally would, although I swear sometimes it sounds like it backfires but i'm not sure.

Sorry, didn't mean to be vague. Directly to the left of my throttle on my '03 Ultra are two buttons. The run button, which is the button that i am referring to. and the start button to the left of it. When I start my bike I hold down the run button until the light goes off on my speedometer gauge. Right there in the center is a light that goes on. Don't you have that? When that light goes off, I then press the start button and she fires up ninety nine percent of the time. I just assume that button primed it for starting. What exactly is happening when the aforementioned button is pressed?

You must be referring to the kill switch. However, it shouldn't have to be held down. It should be a standard switch on or off.....

You must be referring to the kill switch. However, it shouldn't have to be held down. It should be a standard switch on or off.....

That would be the engine light icon? I always wait for that light to go out before hitting the starter

+1, Bo. I agree. Sounds like it is the kill switch he's talking about. I wonder if he has stressed that switch by holding it down. Over time, that stress can add up.

Back