free website stats program cracked rear exhaust pipe at Y | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

cracked rear exhaust pipe at Y

thanks glider. i'll let u know how it works out. all it cost me was some time, so no problemo. if it cracks again in a major way, i'll just haveta break down and open my wallet up and put a new pipe on.

thanks glider. i'll let u know how it works out. all it cost me was some time, so no problemo. if it cracks again in a major way, i'll just haveta break down and open my wallet up and put a new pipe on.

At least you gave it a try. Personally, I hope it lasts forever but I have to agree with Glider on this. Especially in my case where I could see fissures coming off the main crack. My pipe looked like the metal was fatigued. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of welding it only to have to order a new pipe anyway.
WAP.gif

Let us know how it works out and lasts.

followup on cracked exhaust pipe at Y

a little more than a year ago i welded (with torch) a crack at the Y of my rear cylinder exhaust pipe. there was lots of discussion about how and whether to weld it all, or just replace it. i recently pulled off the heat shield to look at it, and no evidence of any weld failure or new cracks. put many miles on the bike in the past year with a crosscountry ride in august. so far, so good. i'll post if it fails at some time in the future.

is this the best way to provide followup? i wasnt able to post this on the original thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: followup on cracked exhaust pipe at Y

When you say you welded it with a torch do you mean that you brazed the crack? If so what type filler rod did you use?

I welded the y pipe on my 03 Ultra several years ago. Used an oxyacetylene torch and a coat hanger (thin one). Pipe probable cracked as a result of loose compensator (extremely rough idle, broke fairing mounts and one mounting hole also). Anyway it has held. Welded it on the bike, crack grew when heat was first applied. Just followed the crack with the torch and filler rod.

a little more than a year ago i welded (with torch) a crack at the Y of my rear cylinder exhaust pipe. there was lots of discussion about how and whether to weld it all, or just replace it. i recently pulled off the heat shield to look at it, and no evidence of any weld failure or new cracks. put many miles on the bike in the past year with a crosscountry ride in august. so far, so good. i'll post if it fails at some time in the future.

is this the best way to provide followup? i wasnt able to post this on the original thread.

Thanks for the followup. It helps us give good suggestions to the next person.
Until your post, I was most inclined to say it was a waste of time and effort to weld the "Y" crack. IMO yes, your followup was the best way, we can read back to the original post.

crack was OA welded with 1/16" RG 45 filler rod. prepped the pipe with wire wheel on bench grinder before welding. only thing i had to buy was a smaller welding tip than anything i already had (000 tip). this doesnt take any special welding skills. just heat it up until it flows together across the crack and use the filler rod to add some volume to the pool. i thought blow-thru might be a problem, but wasnt. using the right welding tip prevented that problem.
this was not brazed. i would be skeptical about brazing holding up with this application.
anyway thats the deal. will let u know if (when?) it fails.

crack was OA welded with 1/16" RG 45 filler rod. prepped the pipe with wire wheel on bench grinder before welding. only thing i had to buy was a smaller welding tip than anything i already had (000 tip). this doesnt take any special welding skills. just heat it up until it flows together across the crack and use the filler rod to add some volume to the pool. i thought blow-thru might be a problem, but wasnt. using the right welding tip prevented that problem.
this was not brazed. i would be skeptical about brazing holding up with this application.
anyway thats the deal. will let u know if (when?) it fails.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure there will be many out there that will be considering this repair. Exactly what the forum is all about, different approaches to a problem.

I welded mine on the bike with a mig. We have stainless wire at work, but wqe got that after I had already welded mine. I think I have about 40,000 miles on it.

Toby

Back