free website stats program cracked rear exhaust pipe at Y | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

cracked rear exhaust pipe at Y

I had the same problem, but it's because the previous owner left off two, count them, 2, mounts. I ended up getting a "y" pipe off ebay cheap.

wannaride, don't be fooled into thinking stainless steel is better. the carbon in the exhaust will combine with the chromium in the stainless and it will fail and it will be catastrophic. it won't just crack, there will be chunks falling out of not just weld metal but a large area of the heat affected zone. at this point repair is beyond question. jmo.

glimmerman, we have used it on some of the stainless exhaust on some of the race cars with no problems. But since the exhaust pipe is holding up just fine, I am not too worried about it.

Toby

i told folks i'd followup on the oxyacetylene weld of the crack in Y of the rear exhaust pipe. had the pipes off this winter for routine maintenance. weld still holding after ~30K miles and almost 2 1/2 years.

i told folks i'd followup on the oxyacetylene weld of the crack in Y of the rear exhaust pipe. had the pipes off this winter for routine maintenance. weld still holding after ~30K miles and almost 2 1/2 years.

THANK YOU! for the follow up. That is the kind of information that helps us make recommendations to weld or replace. Two years is well worth welding.

EXCELLENT! Thanks for the post.
Think I would've been in the nay-sayers group in this thread :D

Thinking out loud....if I were to do it, before assembly check motor mounts and assemble exhaust with care as not to put undue stress on the Y. (well suppose that advice good even if not welded) :33:

I just recently pulled my Y pipe off my bike during a rebuild. I welded it on the bike several years and many miles ago. Used an Oxyacetylene torch and a coat hanger. The weld was intact. Found a crack on the back side that wasn't leaking bad enough to hear or cause problems. Will repair it the same way. If your Y pipe cracks there is usually a reason. Mine was a compensator nut that had come real loose causing a really rough idle and excessive shaking of the motor/bike.

If these pipes are still breaking at the rear Y I would be checking the support bracket (if they still bolt up to the starter) like older evo models. this is why they crack:s

I believe the crack on the backside of the y-pipe was from the same incident that cracked the front. This was the first time I have had the pipe off in about 8 years.

Back