free website stats program cracked rear exhaust pipe at Y | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

cracked rear exhaust pipe at Y

LOL, understandable. get a good grade low tenile strength. don't let them talk you into some exotic alloy. small diameter .045 or .035 if they have it. might get by w/ a spool of mig wire, about 2 lbs. S6 but not the 70 grade. most tubing and steel pipe is only 45,000 lb. 70 is just that 70,000. that's why i said it is too strong. a little post heat around the area will help eliminate any stress build up. dull red is ok. let it cool completely. good luck. let us know how it is. thanks, G.

another interesting thread....enjoyed reading the posts and interested to see how it turns out

man this thread is all over the place. better nail it down before you weld it, also drill small hole at each end of the crack to keep it from running. good luck. ps i vote tig...............bw........also 40 yr welder

One other thought? I have bought complete exhaust systems including heat shields for about $50 from people who changed theirs out? I wanted one heat shield that was dinged up and HD wanted like $280 for it. My friend and I bought a complete system for $50. I took heat shields and he took pipes because he has had that y pipe crack 2 times already? Just another option.
:D

One other thought? I have bought complete exhaust systems including heat shields for about $50 from people who changed theirs out? I wanted one heat shield that was dinged up and HD wanted like $280 for it. My friend and I bought a complete system for $50. I took heat shields and he took pipes because he has had that y pipe crack 2 times already? Just another option.
:D
It always amazes me how so people will practically give their stock exhaust away in their pursuit of new pipes.
You guys done well!

the job is done but appreciate the continuing advice. i welded the crack with a torch and used a small diameter rg45 filler rod. no problems. pics are in community photos. the real issue will be whether it cracks again, but so far so good with several hundred miles on it.

I really think you will be revisiting this issue again in the near future. The metal in the pipe is weak at best and the welding doesn't help it out even if you build it up. The weakest point is around the weld now.

I had found a y-pipe on ebay for 20 bucks including shipping for my evo ultra (same as twin cam).I have a friend that would have welded the old one.I would have thrown him a $20 for doing it.Put on 60k with no problem after the swap.Traded the bike in for my Road Glide.The newer pipe looked stronger than the old one like HD might have improved the design.Good luck with the fix,time will tell.

Back