free website stats program cost shareing | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

cost shareing

There really is alot more to this. This is a fellow and his wife that we did many things with, going to diner and whatever. Always used my car and fuel which I never cared about. Guy is not good with his hands, so was always helping him on his house, bikes and cars. Never asked for a penny.That's what friends are for! When it came to a trip like this, just wanted him to accept a fair and reasonable share of the cost.
To those out there without tow vehicle, I suggest you consider what it cost to own and maintain such equipment if you get asked to go along. If the guy says " I was going anyways, just come along", great, but be sure to treat him right. If he gives you a price, and you feel its to high, respect his decision and just tell him it's more than you can afford and won't be going. Leave it at that and stay friends:)

I agree with you completely as I know there are always different circumstances. I do have a tow vehicle and know that towing almost anything over 1000 lbs drains fuel etc.

But when vehicles (especially those set up to tow heavy loads) can get much more than 100,000 miles and still run strong, 2600 is really no big deal in the scheme of things is all I'm saying. For me it would be more insulting if someone said "sure I'll come along but I'm only paying 1/3" is way more insulting than someone who says "50/50 with a little kicker to pay for wear and tear."

I'm not saying your request was unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination. But sometimes its just not worth the aggrevation or the argument. As someone who has had a best friend that abused the friendship (only doing things as it's convenient for him, all take/no give) I understand the dillemma. I did TONS of stuff for him especially when he was broke and struggling only to never have the favors returned...or at least show some sort of gratitude. Needless to say after 15 years of him being my best friend, we're finished and have been for a few years now which is a shame but I got tired of always being on the giving end and when I needed help with something he only did it on his terms.

I've just come to the conclusion that there are some things not worth fighting over. If you did a bunch of stuff for him and he didn't/doesn't reciprocate, then it doesn't sound like it was a true 2-way friendship.

But 2600 miles is still not a big issue in my opinion. That he didn't even OFFER to pay 1/2 of the expenses is insulting.

I agree with you completely as I know there are always different circumstances. I do have a tow vehicle and know that towing almost anything over 1000 lbs drains fuel etc.

But when vehicles (especially those set up to tow heavy loads) can get much more than 100,000 miles and still run strong, 2600 is really no big deal in the scheme of things is all I'm saying. For me it would be more insulting if someone said "sure I'll come along but I'm only paying 1/3" is way more insulting than someone who says "50/50 with a little kicker to pay for wear and tear."

I'm not saying your request was unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination. But sometimes its just not worth the aggrevation or the argument. As someone who has had a best friend that abused the friendship (only doing things as it's convenient for him, all take/no give) I understand the dillemma. I did TONS of stuff for him especially when he was broke and struggling only to never have the favors returned...or at least show some sort of gratitude. Needless to say after 15 years of him being my best friend, we're finished and have been for a few years now which is a shame but I got tired of always being on the giving end and when I needed help with something he only did it on his terms.

I've just come to the conclusion that there are some things not worth fighting over. If you did a bunch of stuff for him and he didn't/doesn't reciprocate, then it doesn't sound like it was a true 2-way friendship.

But 2600 miles is still not a big issue in my opinion. That he didn't even OFFER to pay 1/2 of the expenses is insulting.
Sounds like you've been there, done that, so you know were I'm coming from. This trip thing turned into a matter of principle for me and only wanted fair and equal treatment as lack of funds is not a issue for this guy. So as I said before, found out the hard way why I was his best friend. Lesson learned.:(

Sounds like you've been there, done that, so you know were I'm coming from. This trip thing turned into a matter of principle for me and only wanted fair and equal treatment as lack of funds is not a issue for this guy. So as I said before, found out the hard way why I was his best friend. Lesson learned.:(

After reading the "rest of the story" I think you have been paid - You found out what he is really like and "EX friend" is correct. Consider it a deal :newsmile047: and move on!

Hey 2000 ... I'm just up the shore from you in Sheboygan. If you're looking next year for a travel companion to Daytona, let me know. I think that what would be right would be to pay half, plus catch you a few "freebies" along the way. Heck, if you are providing the vehicle and trailer, what's to say that I shouldn't/couldn't buy you a few meals and/or beverages. Keep it in mind.

Hey 2000 ... I'm just up the shore from you in Sheboygan. If you're looking next year for a travel companion to Daytona, let me know. I think that what would be right would be to pay half, plus catch you a few "freebies" along the way. Heck, if you are providing the vehicle and trailer, what's to say that I shouldn't/couldn't buy you a few meals and/or beverages. Keep it in mind.

You are a good man. :cheers

Just jotted down your info and made a note to keep you in mind!:)

50/50 is the minimum. I have some friends that i take hunting trips with. They have nicer vehicles than mine, but they are not willing to put the w & t on their rides. I was not willing to continue putting it on mine year after year. What we found to be the best was a rental vehicle that we all share the cost of and share the fuel. Works very good and we are still friends.:D

Sounds like some great idea's on this subject and I agree with them for sure. I really think that finding out how good of a friend he was made it worth while.

Years back, a hunting trip, I turned the table back on a "friend" when he suggested and assumed that "I was going anyway" he would throw in 1/3 monies also. So he came over early about four, and when he showed up, I had all my hunting gear etc.. stacked up on the sidewalk. I told him that since it was fair to pay a 1/3 for fuel etc.. we would just take his truck. (besides no reason to get my truck all muddy inside and out etc..!)

Apparently it wasn't fair and he was very quiet after the weekend hunting tirp. I gave his wife additional monies to cover costs and to "make" it fair. He came over about two weeks later if I recall and apologized. I made a point and held onto a friend. Sometimes you have to be on the receiving end to understand!
Ugly John

50/50 is fair; especially if you were going anyway. Like "mnultra" I would toss in a little extra to help cover the other guy's vehicle wear & tear.

I agree, 50% of gas and such, and I'd be buying a meal and drinks or something extra for the guy who has the trailer and truck. I'd suggest for any future trips like this, that you agree up front EXACTLY what is fair BEFORE they put the bike on your trailer.

50/50 if it was only the 2 of you guys. that is not including food,MC Gas,beer,Tshirts or other stuff. I've done some trips where the other guys picked up my cost since I did the planning. but the guys I ride with work with me or have worked with me. other factors could be money being tight now he may not have it.

Back