free website stats program cost shareing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cost shareing

Food and lodging were separate, so not an issue. He felt 1/3 of the fuel for him should be enough and as for the wear and tear, he felt I should not even consider this as we were friends. Sorry, but when one starts to tell me what favours they expect from me we have a problem. As I made it clear from the start, that I would not be going without someone to share the cost, it is not the same thing as, " I'm going anyways, so you can just tag along".
So after this episode, I was not too eager to offer my free help every time his bike needed work. Didn't take too long before I no longer heard from him. Guess I found out the hard way why we were friends!!
Going forward here, I felt 50/50 for the fuel and something for the w and t. I am wondering what others think is fair for w and t in case I attempt this trip in the future with someone else? Keep in mind the 2600 miles round trip.
I had one person suggest using IRS numbers for mileage, round down to .40 cents per mile, split in halve. That would have worked out to $520 to get him and his bike to Daytona and back to WI. for his share. Sound fair to anyone else? Thanks for the input.

Dr. D's plan sounds good. In fact, I think it would be a bargin for the "ex-friend". As mentioned, he is totally avoiding the cost of wear and tear on your vehicles.

My advice....travel alone. That way you know what you've got and who's responsible.
If you can't afford it...don't go.
If you want a friend, buy a dog.

50/50. I've done it where we've all stuck a couple/few hundred bucks in the kitty and paid for things that way and I think that's a good way to do it.

I've supplied my vehicle on many trips (not necessarily trailering a bike mind you). I've never asked for w/t money. To me that just gets a little nitpicky. While wear and tear on 2600 miles may not be anything to sneeze at, it's not really a big whoop either. If you're hauling a trailer w/2 bikes, you obviously have a vehicle that is equipped to do it so I don't think you're talking any huge dollars here. What, maybe an oil change?

I'm in no way trying to be insulting. But if you're going to start charging depreciation, tire wear, engine wear, etc etc etc, then that sounds kinda cheap.

Although I would be insulted if the guy who isn't supplying the vehicle/equipment said that he was only going to pay 1/3. That's rediculous.

50/50. I've done it where we've all stuck a couple/few hundred bucks in the kitty and paid for things that way and I think that's a good way to do it.

I've supplied my vehicle on many trips (not necessarily trailering a bike mind you). I've never asked for w/t money. To me that just gets a little nitpicky. While wear and tear on 2600 miles may not be anything to sneeze at, it's not really a big whoop either. If you're hauling a trailer w/2 bikes, you obviously have a vehicle that is equipped to do it so I don't think you're talking any huge dollars here. What, maybe an oil change?

I'm in no way trying to be insulting. But if you're going to start charging depreciation, tire wear, engine wear, etc etc etc, then that sounds kinda cheap.

Although I would be insulted if the guy who isn't supplying the vehicle/equipment said that he was only going to pay 1/3. That's rediculous.
There really is alot more to this. This is a fellow and his wife that we did many things with, going to diner and whatever. Always used my car and fuel which I never cared about. Guy is not good with his hands, so was always helping him on his house, bikes and cars. Never asked for a penny.That's what friends are for! When it came to a trip like this, just wanted him to accept a fair and reasonable share of the cost.
To those out there without tow vehicle, I suggest you consider what it cost to own and maintain such equipment if you get asked to go along. If the guy says " I was going anyways, just come along", great, but be sure to treat him right. If he gives you a price, and you feel its to high, respect his decision and just tell him it's more than you can afford and won't be going. Leave it at that and stay friends:)

Back