free website stats program Cheap way to Scavenge oil in a newer DYNA???? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cheap way to Scavenge oil in a newer DYNA????

Why would you think changing only 2 out of 3 qts is a good idea? When you change your oil in your car do you drain it, add 3qts of new oil and then top it off with the old oil in the pan? Or do you put 5 qts of new oil in for "piece of mind"? Take your old filter, cut it in half and take the paper element out of it and JB Weld it back together. drill a hole in the end and put a fitting in it so you can put a clear hose on it and you have a scavenger for about 2 bucks.

Extra Quart Oil Change - Harley Davidson Community

Hello everyone,

service on my 2009 FXDF DYNA FAT BOB, and I have been looking at the R.C. Oil scavengers, but was wondering if anyone had a cheaper way of doing the same thing, but will that work for my 09 Dyna fat BOB? hopefully a cheap way it scavenge my oil.

Watch the movie for your SPECIFIC Dyna model bike. Not the Intro video but the video for your model. You will quickly see what you would have to do to make a kit yourself if you wanted to.

I feel the $120 is worth what you get. If you don't spend the money for the ready to go kit, you will have to come up with a low volume bypass puck to use for a filter or else you are going to have 1 big mess on your hands. You also have to admit the special return tube in the video is trick. That alone is worth the price of admission to me.

Your probably right on the Dyna's Hopple. I have a fatboy and all that is in the scaverger kit for a Fatboy is the puck and a hose.

NEWHD74FAN if you change 2 out of 3 quarts 33% of it is old oil. Eather way your right if your changing the oil every 2500 to 5000 miles your gonna be good eather way you do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your probably right on the Dyna's Hopple. I have a fatboy and all that is in the scaverger kit for a Fatboy is the puck and a hose.

Jett, I saw that after my post. Your kit is a lot different than mine. Cool product. I had no idea there was that much remaining oil after an oil change..

Watch the Vid for the 07 up and touring bikes .. they lost me at remove the allen plug in the tank that the manual Say NEVER REMOVE..

I read Glider's explanation of why the "extra quart" oil change is important and it makes sense to me. Doesn't look that hard with this RC Scavenger.

However, I was also amazed at how nonchalantly they stated that you take out the plug next to the drain plug. Isn't this the one we've been warned is locktited in so well that you can crack your engine case if you mess with it?

What gives here?

I read Glider's explanation of why the "extra quart" oil change is important and it makes sense to me. Doesn't look that hard with this RC Scavenger.

However, I was also amazed at how nonchalantly they stated that you take out the plug next to the drain plug. Isn't this the one we've been warned is locktited in so well that you can crack your engine case if you mess with it?

What gives here?

There talking about the one on your oil pan not the bottom of your motor...

OK, should have crawled under the bike and taken a good look before that last post. Thanks!

Take your old filter, cut it in half and take the paper element out of it and JB Weld it back together. drill a hole in the end and put a fitting in it so you can put a clear hose on it and you have a scavenger for about 2 bucks.

The oil goes through the oil filter before it goes through out the rest of the engine. Not a good idea to starve the engine for oil.

That's why the scavenger accesses the return port under the fill cap.

Glider's link does the same thing, doesn't it? And it doesn't cost much, pennies for a short hose.

I just did the Rogue Chopper scavenger on my dyna & almost a full quart of the dirty oil came out, I would have to think this is a good thing,

Back