free website stats program Can't Get Compensator Nut Off | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't Get Compensator Nut Off

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I'm in the midst of doing the Screamin' Eagle compensator upgrade and have hit a small road block.

Despite using a breaker bar, the HD primary drive locking tool, and generous amounts of PB Blaster, I can't get the compensator nut to budge. I confirmed in the instructions that it's a normal, lefty-loosey nut but it's being real stubborn.

Any ideas? Tricks that have worked for others?

It should be held on with red loctite which need a bit of heat to loose its grip so blow lamp till its hot then pull down on the breaker bar in an easy movement
best if you have assistance to hold the bike steady
if all else fails then heat followed by an air impact wrench will get it off but it may also loosen the magnets in the charging system rotor

Brian

It will be tight. The problem is the threaded portion where the locktite is applied, is deep into the crank a couple of inches. As long as you are turning it in the correct direction, it will loosen. I used an 18" breaker bar along with a cheater pipe to get it off.

impact on lowest setting click up till off but this may loosen mags ..use as last resort

It will be tight. The problem is the threaded portion where the locktite is applied, is deep into the crank a couple of inches. As long as you are turning it in the correct direction, it will loosen. I used an 18" breaker bar along with a cheater pipe to get it off.

I went one bigger. I bought at 4 ft breaker bar. The probem was I was able turn the rear wheel.

Make sure the rear wheel is on solid ground.
Put the tranny in 4th or 5th gear
Find something or someone to hold the rear brake pedal
Start twisting and that nut will will come off.

Thanks.

When I get back in town Friday I'll try heat and a cheater pipe added on to the breaker bar.

Sounds like the impact wrench is best avoided if at all possible.

I have used the impact in past . but i have been lucky....yes very last resort good luck';';'

I have used the impact in past . but i have been lucky....yes very last resort good luck';';'

Don't worry about knocking the magnets loose on the rotor DR. You're going to install a new rotor with the compensator anyway....it's part of the SE unit.

Don't worry about knocking the magnets loose on the rotor DR. You're going to install a new rotor with the compensator anyway....it's part of the SE unit.

Excellent point - you can tell I'm so fried from sweating out in the garage all morning I didn't think of that.

I also don't have an air impact wrench or know anyone who does so if it comes down to needing one, I'll be off to the store!

Excellent point - you can tell I'm so fried from sweating out in the garage all morning I didn't think of that.

I also don't have an air impact wrench or know anyone who does so if it comes down to needing one, I'll be off to the store!

If you pop round to my place ill get the blow lamp and compressor fired up and we will have it done in no time at all

Brian

Back