free website stats program Can't Get Compensator Nut Off | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't Get Compensator Nut Off

OK Brian I have got to ask, what is a blow lamp? Remember I live on the other side of the pond.

Excellent point - you can tell I'm so fried from sweating out in the garage all morning I didn't think of that.

I also don't have an air impact wrench or know anyone who does so if it comes down to needing one, I'll be off to the store!

Several Auto parts stores rent tools. They probably have electric impacts if you don't have a compressor. If you lived on the S. side of ATL, I'd loan you my impact.
Are you on-line at 35K feet?

OK Brian I have got to ask, what is a blow lamp? Remember I live on the other side of the pond.

Sometimes called a blow torch its got a screw on cylinder of gas mix of propane and butane throws out a hot flame hot enough to make steel glow red if heated long enough
http://www.google.co.uk/url?url=http://www.toolstation.com/landing.html%3Fr%3Df%26feature%3D78079&rct=j&sa=X&ei=D4F1TKrQGsuP4AaF6JGdBg&ved=0CC4Q9gIwAw&q=blowlamp&usg=AFQjCNEm1SpgLfeSm_h-U2GqT3Cm1uyFGw

Brian

big breaker bar or a breaker bar and cheater bar it will pop and then ya can basically turn it by hand

Several Auto parts stores rent tools. They probably have electric impacts if you don't have a compressor. If you lived on the S. side of ATL, I'd loan you my impact.
Are you on-line at 35K feet?

Looked at Sears and Harbor Freight online and it looks like an electric one fits in my price range just fine for my intended uses.

Everyone else is online inflight but not us pilots! We just have to enjoy the scenery and daydream about riding!

I would bet an electric impact won't remove a bolt like that. That's a 140 ft/lb On with probably 120 Off,, then add locktite to it. Your probably looking at close to a couple of hundred pounds of force. Grab an 18" breaker bar with pipe & your done.

I removed mine and i made a block backup but what really helped when i had my wife set on the bike holding the brakes. Of course my life was threaten if i dropped her so that made me kinda sorta more careful. I removed mine coz I was installing a chrome inner primary .

used impact and had no problem

wouldnt hurt to spin the clutch basket while you have the chain off. i had the mainshaft bearing race go bad on mine at 20 k

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked at Sears and Harbor Freight online and it looks like an electric one fits in my price range just fine for my intended uses.

Everyone else is online inflight but not us pilots! We just have to enjoy the scenery and daydream about riding!

As hoople said electric impact wrench may not have enough power to get the compensator nut moving
So it may be worth investing in a compressor and some air tools
I cant remember why i bought mine but it was used but in very good condition and i have used it more than i thought i would so for me it was a good investment
Brian likes tools and keeps buying more

Brian

Back