free website stats program Can't Get Compensator Nut Off | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't Get Compensator Nut Off

I got mine off by having an assistant(wife) hold the socket tight against the nut and taking up any slack.I then gave the old 'short,sharp shock'(a HARD abrupt blow) to the end of my breaker bar.Worked like a charm.

As mentioned,no need to care about the magnets because they're history.

Went to Harbor Freight and bought a longer breaker bar. Heated the bolt up and used steady leg/lower back pressure for about 10 seconds and it finally started coming off.

Thanks for all the help and sugeestions!

Went to Harbor Freight and bought a longer breaker bar. Heated the bolt up and used steady leg/lower back pressure for about 10 seconds and it finally started coming off.

Thanks for all the help and sugeestions!

Hey there Doc - sounds like you've been doing some of the mods that I'd eventually like to get around to doing.

If you don't mind the asking - why are you installing the SE comp kit on your scoot? Is it to eliminate the loud knocking noise on start-up?...thanks

This is like waiting in a Hospital Delivery waiting room for the Doctor to come in and say it was a Success!... The suspense is killing me..:p

Hey there Doc - sounds like you've been doing some of the mods that I'd eventually like to get around to doing.

If you don't mind the asking - why are you installing the SE comp kit on your scoot? Is it to eliminate the loud knocking noise on start-up?...thanks

I did it to improve the start up knock and to smooth out the low speed characteristics of the drive train. Not sure if that's worded real clearly but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Also, to be totally honest with myself, I wanted to do something other than a simple bolt-on modification that would push my limits a bit to see how I handled it. Not surprisingly, I had to buy some new tools and it's taking LOTS longer than I intended (still not done yet) but I've learned a lot and I'm glad I tackled it.

This is like waiting in a Hospital Delivery waiting room for the Doctor to come in and say it was a Success!... The suspense is killing me..:p

You better not follow too many of my endeavors very closely, then. I always take much longer than anyone else to get anything done on my bike!

You better not follow too many of my endeavors very closely, then. I always take much longer than anyone else to get anything done on my bike!

There is nothing wrong with taking your time and thinking it through.
I purchased this HD rear "turn signal to brake light" conversion kit and the salesman said it only takes 10 minutes to install.

I told him NOTHING takes only 10 minutes.! Took me 2 hours but it's perfect.

I did it to improve the start up knock and to smooth out the low speed characteristics of the drive train. Not sure if that's worded real clearly but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Also, to be totally honest with myself, I wanted to do something other than a simple bolt-on modification that would push my limits a bit to see how I handled it. Not surprisingly, I had to buy some new tools and it's taking LOTS longer than I intended (still not done yet) but I've learned a lot and I'm glad I tackled it.

Well good for you. Sounds like you have a good support group here and I'm right behind you on the compensator. I want to just take a look at the chain tensioner for starter's and also there's a lot of chatter down there. I need to check that nut to make sure it's tight to spec. I don't plan on installing the SE kit anytime soon. I don't know if that's recommended to install that SE kit or if that knock on start-up is damaging anything mechanically in the long run.

I hear you on the tools. I've done just a few things so far on mine, and everything I've done has required a run up to the local Sears store for new sockets, torx bits, etc (gotta keep Jack employed ya know lol)

Good luck on the project and let us know when you get her all buttoned up and ready to roll - thanks

Hey doc just remember every time you get the tools out and use them gives you a wee bit more experience
Taking time to think through the job is the way any job should be tackled the first time you do it then next time youll know what your doing
Just keep going and finding new things to do and youll soon build a good collection of tools

Brian

Back