free website stats program Can you say, pouring rain | Harley Davidson Forums

Can you say, pouring rain

mat 60

I only have time to ride after work and sundays and I do like my bike with no bags or windsheld and I know I should whair a helmet but I dont...Ive been only 6000 miles on my 2010 fatboy and I have been very lucky with rain untill today..:(..When I saw the sky geting dark I headed home and when I was 4 miles from home........Holey moley, It pored.....I have never rode in aneything more than a light rain....Trying to get home Im going 50 with my left hand shealding my face and the roads looked like thay had 2in of water on them...WOW this was a hole different ride..I drove just as smooth as I could....I was suprised how well the bike drove even one handed...I do know i need to get me a mask thing because my face is stinging a bit...Yes I will have a bagger when I grow up...I just had to tell you<<<I get the rain thing now:)

Yep been there done that (a few times all the way back to my teenage yrs) but glad you made it home ok.

Mat always slow down (as much as the cages on your rear will let you) in a heavy rain. Or just pull off. It's just too dangerous otherwise, even with a windshield and a face mask when it gets to coming down hard then it's hard to see problems in the road and it can get serious.

R W B has you covered here. It is just not worth the price to pay when the weather gets to bad. I have a shield and goggles but I refuse to deal with the bad downpours. My life is worth more than the time lost on the road JMO of course.

Mabe I should have pulled over..Its hard to do when your close to home...I did wonder when I saw alot of water siting on the road if my bike could come out from under me eazy..Is riding in the poring rain that bad if you can see..Just asking..If you felt your bike start to slide , Im thinking it would be hard to stop it.

Mabe I should have pulled over..Its hard to do when your close to home...I did wonder when I saw alot of water siting on the road if my bike could come out from under me eazy..Is riding in the poring rain that bad if you can see..Just asking..If you felt your bike start to slide , Im thinking it would be hard to stop it.

Only time I had the bike slide out from under me, was when going on circle exit ramps in rain. Cage pushing behind me and just going too fast for exit. Tail end kicked out and I backed throttle down and bike beautifully snapped back into travel line. Other exits ramps I could correct with the bars because it didn't get too far ahead of me.

Glad you made it home safe and sound, I think you taking a risk going solo on the handlebars though, life comes at you fast!

Along the coast we get gully washers alot and if it's gets raining too hard I find a place to get off the road.

Not always, it depends on HOW HARD and HOW MUCH water is being dropped on you and how much is PUDDLING on the road. Down here in Florida the thunder storms tend to really dump it on you to where it sometimes becomes impossible to see clearly enough to ride safe, or the water puddles and makes hydroplaning a problem.

When I was younger riding with no windshield or face shield or GLASSES I could see better in the rain. But when you put something in front of you WITH NO WIPERS on it then things start to get blurred depending on the magnitude.

I've done some electrical work in the attic and the sweat gets on my glasses to where I can't see nothin except blurr and I have to stop and dry my glasses on a rag.

It's always a judgement call, I've ridden miles in rain that I felt conditions were acceptable. But if you get to the point where you feel like you are taking chances with it, THEN it is time to slow down and/or pull over. Never lean on those white traffic stripes while raining, they are like oil when wet. I'm sure you knew that, but just wanted to make sure.

Back