free website stats program bummed out | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

bummed out

I bought a 2010 Road King Classic and thought i had bought a high quality bike. Reading all the posts, I have come to realize that HD seems to be low quality and i can only hope not to have problems like those i read on this forum. I think i am becoming convinced that a Honda, Triumph or BMW should have been what i purchased. My question is to all of you that have had problems, (not maintenance problems-how to's) will you buy another HD? And if you answer yes, WHY? :34:

I'm only in my second riding season with my Ultra Glide and love it. The sound, looks and feel of the bike are unmatched by my past rides (or any of the competitions offerings IMO). Most likely will buy another but plan on having this one for years.
There isn't a vehicle made that you won't find someone who has problems and, as much as they may not like to admit it, that includes the Japanese made bikes (been there and didn't get much support).
Don't just concentrate on those with bad experiences. For every one with a bad experience I'd bet there's a hundred with no serious problems.

I remember that when I first started reading the posts on this site. Yes it was after I bought my UC. And yes I started to panic a little. It gets hard sometimes to differentiate the real story, as always. You will find that moderators (new and old) and most members will steer you in the right direction. It gets difficult I think when you are new because many of the experieced folks here have observed the same issues over and over. I believe just about everything that could be talked about has been. Then you are up against the sheer volume of posts to look through to find "the truth" and this is typically when you are frustrated with an issue.

Sometimes you will find those that "type in your language": you can have everyone saying the same thing but only one is able to say it in a way you will understand. This is normal. I laugh when I look back at what I was doing to adjust my clutch, until someone could translate what "free play" was into my brain.

I particularly remember a pretty recent post about transmissions that were "blowing up left and right". I remember it because if I would have read that when I first joined, I would have been very concerned. Now I think the poster was trying to stir the pot a bit.

I come back to many of Smitty's posts because most of the time he is really telling you to look around you, pay attention and use common sense. Many of the others have so much history and knowledge, the make some assumptions that us newbies haven't even thought of, but we are learning.

Look around. HD's are all over the place. If they really are a brand with many many issues, the owners certainly don't care. If there is one thing HD owners do: it is care. Nothing sounds, looks or rides like HD. Period. You made a great choice. The more you ride the more you will see.

I think you said it best !

I've owned a Goldwing and a Shadow, and every model Harley makes from Sportster to Softtail to Wideglide to my present FLHTC, and I say there ain't nothing like the thrill of riding a Harley, not to mention all the nostalgia that goes with it. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I currently own a very varied fleet of sorts...
2007 HD Electra Glide Classic
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2007 Honda trx400 atv
1986 Honda xl250r
1984 Honda xr80
2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS
1993 highly modded turbo'd (518whp) Honda Civic
1989 Chevy Silverado
1987 Porsche 944
1983 Porsche 911

I hope you at least got a quantity discount on Battery Tenders!

Them's alot of batteries!:34:

I've had 4 Harley's, never a problem. The only issue ever was a dead battery. It was an older battery and I forgot to leave in on trickle charge, my fault nothing to do with quality. See how well a Honda holds its value. Besides all that Harley has cooler t-shirts, lol.

think about what you're asking. Show me one cooperate greed machine that is standing behind anything they sell these days. I've been riding HD all my life. Like Jack, I also own an AMF era scoot and I love it even more than my 07'. There's a certain sense of pride that comes over you when riding a Harley. You know, like, proud to be an American! Like the old saying goes, "If you have to ask, you would'nt understand." Yes I would own another one, or ten. Do yourself a favor. Get to know your scoot, and some of the other folks that take pride in riding their Harleys before you decide to trade it in for a metric. I don't believe you'll regret it.

Today I was riding home from Chicago. It was a 170 mile ride 35-40 degrees depending on were I was. Wind was 20-30 with gusts as high as 50-60 over cast and damp.
I was on my Harley enjoying the ride the guy with the goldwing I pasted was not.
I know this because he was driving his pretty little blue honda fit car with a Gold wing sticker in the back window.

That is too funny!!!:newsmile100::newsmile100:
I am guessing but I would think the horsepower of the honda fit and your 2007 are realtively close.

All the positive encouragement about the quality of HD and the high mileage everyone is getting made me think about posting one of my favorite Motorcycle websites.

Peter and Kay Forwood on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. World's Most Travelled Motorcycle.

This Harley has 583,200 km's (362,383 miles) on it. Check it out. "The World's Most Traveled Motorcycle"

It was featured in HOG magazine last year as well.
What a fascinating read! Wow! I liked where he said he had to get the frame rewelded after laying the bike down on so many dirt roads in Africa!
Also, we can get some pretty good ideas from his travel lists on what we need to bring for spare parts, tools, toiletries, etc. He and his wife are incredible people. I tip my hat to them.

Back