free website stats program bummed out | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

bummed out

Hi Scott , now that you have read the reply`s of all of us that love our Harley`s, the hardest thing you will have to learn is how to remove the big grin off face after a cage driver, pedestrian, or even the metric owner compliments you on how great your bike looks. this happens quite often at stop lights - there really is no other feeling like riding a Harley!

I have owned a Suzuki 1500 Intruder, still own a Honda VTX 1800, and now an 06 Electra Glide. With each bike I have joined an online forum. I think it's a biker thing - all forums are similiar in that everybody that is active in the forum likes to tinker with the bikes. All bikes need maintenance to some degree. Ride the bike, if you have questions go to a forum like this and somebody will help - or at least that has been my experince.

You are riding a legend - how may people have a Honda tat to advertise what they ride. When I get really old maybe 85 or 90, I can tell my grandkids and great-grandkids that their papaw used to ride a Harley (or maybe I will still be riding).

David Welch

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit I have read your post several times trying to understand the purpose of it, and I am at a complete loss. Why would you form such an opinion based only on posts from owners with problems and then look for some affirmation? Why did you buy the bike in the first place and then go looking for advice? When I park my bike next to a $9,000 import and I see all the rusting fasteners and bad chrome, I know the quality of my bike and why I paid more for it. When you make rash judgments and then post them on a site such as this, it is like pulling the pin on a live grenade. Your post just has no logic to it and frankly it offends even those of us that have issues. :(

Hey doc, lighten up! I understand his concerns as I sometimes get irritated with all the "problems" that get posted here. Sometimes it seems as if a lot of guys on this forum dont really enjoy their ride. I know from experience most problems with HDs are from either lack of maintenance or modifications, Harley seems to attract those that neglect the former while heavily delving into the latter. Both types end up here posting what a piece of junk their HD is. I think the OP purchased a new bike that, let's face it, takes a lot of flak from those who ride other brands and, after reading some of the posts here became concerned about his purchase. Completely understandable.
To the OP, I say relax, enjoy your ride. Visit this forum often when you need advice but don't focus too much on the negative posts.

I wouldn't say that HD has anymore problems than other brands. I'm sure you'd read about complaints or problems on another forum for other brands. I have two HD's. My 04 Road Glide has 103,000 miles. It's been trouble free. Same drive belt and not engine work. Still runs strong and does not leak one drop of oil. My 2010 Ultra has 8000 miles now. I had a loose shifter lever replaced under warranty and the stereo is having some issues cutting out, but the two year warranty is very issue to deal with and I'm taking it in tomorrow. I still have plenty of faith in the product and would buy another one.

Let me start by saying I'm a gearhead/nut...:newsmile040: I currently own a very varied fleet of sorts...
2007 HD Electra Glide Classic
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2007 Honda trx400 atv
1986 Honda xl250r
1984 Honda xr80
2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS
1993 highly modded turbo'd (518whp) Honda Civic
1989 Chevy Silverado
1987 Porsche 944
1983 Porsche 911

They all have their mechanical issues/limitations as well as their strengths and I love them all for different reasons. Some people like to bash what they don't ride/own or things from other countries... but for me I don't discriminate, I appreciate mechanical things no matter where they are made! I enjoy the sound of a turbocharged engine at full boost, or the whir of an air cooled flat six or a screaming inline 4 or the burble of a v8 or the thump of a large single cylinder, or the tell tale sound of an HD. And before anyone asks yes I probably put my insurance agent's kids through college haha.
I say you bought a great machine and I think you should go out and enjoy it! If it breaks so be it... just improve it when you fix it and make it your own!

not a problem. Thanks for your input and comments

Scott, the deal is most people go to forums like HDTimeline because they have a passion for what they ride and also to talk with others who have issues, which gives readers the "impression" that all riders come here for that reason. I own or have owned dozens of vehicles, but my Harley was the first one that I went on a forum because I was "interested" as to why I felt the way I did about this new "iron horse" of only 3 years...funny thing is, I never left! :newsmile100:

Seriously, take a look at this HD site and see what the "passion" is all about.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Ride_True/Ride_True.jsp?locale=en_US#/it-starts-with-whats-right/

I remember that when I first started reading the posts on this site. Yes it was after I bought my UC. And yes I started to panic a little. It gets hard sometimes to differentiate the real story, as always. You will find that moderators (new and old) and most members will steer you in the right direction. It gets difficult I think when you are new because many of the experieced folks here have observed the same issues over and over. I believe just about everything that could be talked about has been. Then you are up against the sheer volume of posts to look through to find "the truth" and this is typically when you are frustrated with an issue.

Sometimes you will find those that "type in your language": you can have everyone saying the same thing but only one is able to say it in a way you will understand. This is normal. I laugh when I look back at what I was doing to adjust my clutch, until someone could translate what "free play" was into my brain.

I particularly remember a pretty recent post about transmissions that were "blowing up left and right". I remember it because if I would have read that when I first joined, I would have been very concerned. Now I think the poster was trying to stir the pot a bit.

I come back to many of Smitty's posts because most of the time he is really telling you to look around you, pay attention and use common sense. Many of the others have so much history and knowledge, the make some assumptions that us newbies haven't even thought of, but we are learning.

Look around. HD's are all over the place. If they really are a brand with many many issues, the owners certainly don't care. If there is one thing HD owners do: it is care. Nothing sounds, looks or rides like HD. Period. You made a great choice. The more you ride the more you will see.

Welcome Scott, remember one thing; at least if you stay bummed, you can always sell your HD and not loose your (EDIT) Besides, after you have put in some seat time on the new ride, you won't ever want to get anything else! I have 2 now & would not hesitate to buy another.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back