free website stats program Bike runs bad with lights on | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike runs bad with lights on

Ok, I havent done anything to the bike, but I was using the cheapo harbor freight multimeter, and i noticed that when i short the leads together, it reads 1.4 ohms....seems to me that the actual reading should be about .5 ohms. i cant find my better meter to get a more accurate reading.

DID you give it the Sniff test?

IF you want MY help, you need to answer MY questions....

This is work here and to ask you and not get an answer=Wasted Time for me.

signed....BUBBIE

also, i have been thinking. the bike is a 1988, with a 2001 motor. according to things i have read, the 88 had a 22 amp system, the 2001 had a 32 amp system. if i had a regulator that belonged on the 88, would that cause problems like this?

also, i have been thinking. the bike is a 1988, with a 2001 motor. according to things i have read, the 88 had a 22 amp system, the 2001 had a 32 amp system. if i had a regulator that belonged on the 88, would that cause problems like this?

I would think the motor 01 needs the Right VR 01 to make it work properly...

The Motor is what seems to be the problem here Not the 88 bike.

signed....BUBBIE

Stators and Voltage regulators Must match and That IS probably your problem IF VR is off the 88 bike.

Now I don't know all about the electrical like A Hoople .... but This makes sense to me... Knowing Mis-matching them is Not the way to go...

When I have replace a Stator I have replaced the V. Regulator that matched the stator used...

Probably IF stock, it would take the Stock regulator for that motor...

Maybe the Problem will be solved :small3d026:

signed....BUBBIE

Sorry, yes, I took the cover off and i can't smell anything burnt. I forgot to mention that.
Now I have to find a way to determine what the regulator belongs to. I know the later ones had a plug, the older ones had an eye type connector.
I am going to take it off again and see if I can find any part numbers or some way to identify it. It would be great if that were in fact the problem!

.3 ohms on my friends better quality meter! Time to inspect the wiring!
WAP.gif

Back