free website stats program Bike runs bad with lights on | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike runs bad with lights on

I don't know what year the harness is from. I bought it like this, so I really don't know. There are things that have been taped up and spliced together.
I will see if I can figure out it that is the right diagram.
I did the test for the regulator with a test light and it checked out OK. I am going to look over all the connections and make sure they are clean and tight.
WAP.gif

There is quite a few differences between the 88 wiring and the 01 as in 88 a lot of ancillaries used the frame as a ground return in 94 additional ground wires were added
I also think the ignition module in 01 was in the nose cone and in 88 was to the rear of the battery on left side
However I wonder if a suitable regulator is fitted as the charging system is different and had lower output in 88 and from the description of the problem does seem it could be caused by not enough electrical power
That is just a few thoughts I had this morning

Brian

The ign module on mine is near the battery. The regulator appears to be the right one for a 2001. It looks a little rough, but seems to test OK. I have a spare reg from a dyna, but they are different.
WAP.gif

The ign module on mine is near the battery. The regulator appears to be the right one for a 2001. It looks a little rough, but seems to test OK. I have a spare reg from a dyna, but they are different.
WAP.gif

Interesting, seems to me your bikes alternator is part of the clutch hub, this was a poor at best design IMO

Looks like fun. Different than the Dyna.I should test that next. My regulator has 2 wires though.
I'm probably going to take the seat off and look around under there this weekend.
There is also a plug under there that is not plugged into anything. I have a picture of it somewhere.

Interesting, seems to me your bikes alternator is part of the clutch hub, this was a poor at best design IMO

Jack the engine is from a 2001 so the alternator should be behind the engine sprocket and should be a wee bit more powerful than the earlier models

Brian

Jack the engine is from a 2001 so the alternator should be behind the engine sprocket and should be a wee bit more powerful than the earlier models

Brian

:s I missed that thanks Brian, these old eyes need some work:p

:s I missed that thanks Brian, these old eyes need some work:p
We all at times need someone keeping us right this time it was me watching over you next time it might be you watching over me good team work will eventually resolve most things

Brian

Back