free website stats program Bike runs bad with lights on | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike runs bad with lights on

I haven't spent much time working on this bike. I did break out my multimter and checked the stator. From either terminal to ground there is nothing (meter set to ohmsx1). Across the two terminals it said 1.9 ohms. I have been riding it and it still seems fine with the lights off. I also noticed that beeping the horn makes the bike jerk.
WAP.gif

I haven't spent much time working on this bike. I did break out my multimter and checked the stator. From either terminal to ground there is nothing (meter set to ohmsx1). Across the two terminals it said 1.9 ohms. I have been riding it and it still seems fine with the lights off. I also noticed that beeping the horn makes the bike jerk.
I have not tested the stator with the bike running yet.
WAP.gif

I have not tested the stator with the bike running yet.
WAP.gif

DID You take the alligator clip wire...(heavy like Hoople said)

Attach it to the Running Power Side of the engine....

Sounds like you have not Enough Juice to feed the engine side...

Using the lights and the horn take away all the juice.

IF you have not checked how much juice your stator gives OUT, that may be the first thing to check...

Under Grounded ???? Maybe.

signed....BUBBIE

Could the lights and horn be on the wrong wire side and need it's own???

I did not use a jumper wire like Hoople said, he said a couple of posts later to hold off on that. I did take a reading there and it seemed ok. Maybe I should try jumping it and see what happens.
I thought about using relays for the horn and lights, but I am not sure if that would just be masking the real problem.
If I need a stator that's fine. I just want to be sure that is the problem. I'd hate to replace that and not NEED to.

Usually when a stater Goes OR starts to go,You can smell a BURNT smell when the derby cover is open...

signed....BUBBIE

i will check that as well.
i figure checking and fixing connections is good for the bike and costs next to nothing. winter's coming anyways. if it needs a stator, that's a few hours work.
all the tips and advice i receive here are appreciated and helpful.

Back