free website stats program Batt n warranty | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Batt n warranty

You never mentioned whether the original battery was kept on a battery tender or not. I got about 4 yea:newsmile093:trip.

That may have been part of failure,,i did NOT put tender on it all the time...so i guess if that is case,,,i am guilty...LOL , but doing it now for sure.:newsmile093:

I use a tender all the time and my last OEM battery lasted 2.5 years. Don't get your hopes to high. Something about using it year-round and the Fla heat.....

I have had terrible luck with the OEM batteries and the HD replacements. Last one in my '03 Ultra lasted 22 mos. The Odyssey I had before that lasted 4.5 years of similar service. It had replaced an OEM battery that was the original and had been in the bike a bit over two years.

This time around when the HD battery failed, I went with an Interstate Battery Cycle-Tron Plus 30 AH (FAYIX30L). We'll see how they last. The only reason I went that way was that the HD battery hard failed, and I could not wait for the Odyssey by courier. Fingers crossed.

My lesson learned is that I will never over pay for the HD batteries that in my experience are sub-standard.

TQ

I have had terrible luck with the OEM batteries and the HD replacements. Last one in my '03 Ultra lasted 22 mos. The Odyssey I had before that lasted 4.5 years of similar service. It had replaced an OEM battery that was the original and had been in the bike a bit over two years.

This time around when the HD battery failed, I went with an Interstate Battery Cycle-Tron Plus 30 AH (FAYIX30L). We'll see how they last. The only reason I went that way was that the HD battery hard failed, and I could not wait for the Odyssey by courier. Fingers crossed.

My lesson learned is that I will never over pay for the HD batteries that in my experience are sub-standard.

TQ

I am with you TQ. If the one I have now doesn't perform better than the last two. I am off looking for alternatives too.

This time around when the HD battery failed, I went with an Interstate Battery Cycle-Tron Plus 30 AH (FAYIX30L). We'll see how they last.

TQ, I wish you better luck than I have had with Interstate batteries. Maybe it's me, but I have never had an Interstate battery live out its warranty period. All were automotive applications but on at least 6 different cars, never had one that lasted. Every time I have spoke with an Interstate representative, they all say how good their warranty is. My reply is "Yes, the warranty is good but I would rather have a Good battery than a Good warranty".
Think about it,,If a battery (or any other product) is really good, you shouldn't need a warranty to start with.

As far as an Odyssey battery goes, I have never used one. On the surface they seem to be the answer but don't they need a special charger? The PC545 seems to be the battery they use on alot of Harley applications. They say this battery needs 14.20 volts minimum with a nominal charge voltage of 14.70 volts. Where are we going to get that kind of charging voltage. That means the battery is going to be 85% of charge most of the time.
On top of that it's only a 14 AH battery.

I really don't know what the answer is, especially if the bike has a single phase charging system.

I must have gotten lucky with my OEM battery on the 07.
It didn't go bad until last March the day before I headed to Florida.
I have replaced it with an AGM battery.

I must have gotten lucky with my OEM battery on the 07.
It didn't go bad until last March the day before I headed to Florida.
I have replaced it with an AGM battery.

My '07 batter was also a good one. I replaced it with A Deka last Feb. only to be safe for the trip to Salt Springs. It's still doing a great job in my lawn tractor. My friends '07 is on his 3rd batt. OEM, Interstate and now Deka.

I'm stupid enough to think I am going to be one of the "lucky" ones that gets 4+ years out of the OEM. Hasn't happened yet............
Yes, I use a tender. I think heat has a lot to do with it and the fact that my battery is in use all year long, no winter layup.

Back