free website stats program Batt n warranty | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Batt n warranty

Have I been the 'lucky' one? My '07 has the original battery. Has about 15,000 miles on her. Granted I don't put that many miles on it, and stored with a tender on it for the winter, and longer this past year due to an injury. But if I go out to the barn, it will start right up. Great, now with that statement, next time I go out, it won't start! I better knock on wood!

BRIAN

TQ, I wish you better luck than I have had with Interstate batteries. Maybe it's me, but I have never had an Interstate battery live out its warranty period. All were automotive applications but on at least 6 different cars, never had one that lasted. Every time I have spoke with an Interstate representative, they all say how good their warranty is. My reply is "Yes, the warranty is good but I would rather have a Good battery than a Good warranty".
Think about it,,If a battery (or any other product) is really good, you shouldn't need a warranty to start with.

As far as an Odyssey battery goes, I have never used one. On the surface they seem to be the answer but don't they need a special charger? The PC545 seems to be the battery they use on alot of Harley applications. They say this battery needs 14.20 volts minimum with a nominal charge voltage of 14.70 volts. Where are we going to get that kind of charging voltage. That means the battery is going to be 85% of charge most of the time.
On top of that it's only a 14 AH battery.

I really don't know what the answer is, especially if the bike has a single phase charging system.

Hoop,

We'll see on the Interstate Battery.

The Odyssey I need on the Ultra is:

1450 FL, FLH 99-06 PC925LMJ

TQ

I don't use a tender since the bike doesn't sit idle for more than a day or two but when the time comes I'm gonna try a gel battery

when the time comes I'm gonna try a gel battery

If you mean a Gel-cell as in "Power-Sonic", you will be disappointed with the performance. Gel-cells make for great low current lighting batteries but for starting or cranking it would never work. You won't find a CCA listed for them because their amp/hour rating is expressed in a 20 hour rate (slow drain). On something like a stock 96,, one good summer & it would be toast.

Now lithium-ion would be the ticket if they weren't so dangerous & expensive.:)

The original poster was in warm climate...Florida. Batteries self discharge faster in warmer, humid climates. Battery tender is not "AS" necessary, if year 'round riding is the order of the day. That said...overcharging battery does have a tendency to boil out the limited amount of water in the battery...and the regulator is working overtime to get rid of the excess voltage. 2-3 years for a battery is pretty poor...IMHO. But he checked and installed by the book, so hopefully it was "just" the battery.:newsmile011:

Back