free website stats program Baffle Fiber | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Baffle Fiber

Seems like it. Hopefully today after work it will stop raining so I can run it down the highway, if not I will tomorrow just to check it on the highway, but from where I went last night, I did not have any decell pop, I gotta say I am confused, oh well, as long as the popping is gone I am good.

Drumrguy...Smitty got it right, once you got the fiberglass packing back in, the backpressure and tuning was restored...you should be fine. While most of the reasons why Dyno tuning is based on a great idea, in practice it is stilll rough on a street machine with so many diagonstic runs necessary at wide throttle openings.

I am just so glad it seems to be better. Hopefully I will get out this week, stupid rain. But it does seem better.

Drumrguy...Smitty got it right, once you got the fiberglass packing back in, the backpressure and tuning was restored...you should be fine. While most of the reasons why Dyno tuning is based on a great idea, in practice it is stilll rough on a street machine with so many diagonstic runs necessary at wide throttle openings.

The material is out of the exhaust flow area and causes no restriction, its
purpose is to change the audible tone.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

eleft36, i understand that, but after repacking the baffles, my problem seems to be gone, we will find out tomorrow when I take it on a HOG ride, but I know it is better, why, who knows.

they do add some restriction by not allowing the gas's a larger volume chamber than whats supposed to be there .. not designed to run with out the packing . so while nto a normal restriction per say better to say it reduces chamber volume back to what bike was tuned for

Bud, that makes sense, I know that the baffle creates back pressure, not the packing, but I knew it had some affect on something, now it's all coming together. Going on a ride tomorrow so I guess time will tell. :D

Yeah, and it only cost me a little over 500.00 ! :lolrolling:no

Hey, here is one for ya, someone mentioned putting dirt bike baffle material in, have you ever heard of that? I never have, but maybe it would work, anyone know? :33:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the same stuff.

Maybe the popping with no packing was because excess fuel was getting up into/behind the louvers, parking there momentarily, and igniting when fresh air was hitting it, whereas it just passes through with the packing.

Really, in the several times through the years I've replaced batting in glass-packs there was no discernible difference in the tune; just in the sound.

Back