free website stats program Baffle Fiber | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Baffle Fiber

I understand that, but I think I will always have some with all my motor work that is done.
Sounds like you're running the previous-generation exhaust plumbing. You might do well to hinder flow through the left muffler a bit more.

Also, popping isn't just from lean conditions. Overly-rich ones will pop quite nicely on the previous touring exhaust plumbing, too.

stock bikes will pop on decel its just harder to hear, decel inleanment will also change popping, timing will change popping, backpressure is rubbish nobody wants backpressure infact the most power an engine will make is with short straight out pipes ie no backpressure. exhausts function on reversion of sound waves, this works cos the sound waves dont take up room as such but stop fuel spill on overlap keeping more fuel in creating more power.your mufflers can increase torque in their design, though an increase in torque will reduce horse power . use fiberglass mat not loose wool it will stay in longer, if its tight sound absorbtion will be lower but the packing will stay in longer.

You are SO wrong in your thinking. Short pipes do not give the best power unless it is at the drags and it's top end you are talking about. Ever hear of fuel standoff caused by improper exhaust reversion?

Engines perform most efficiently at 100% throttle and as much load as necessary to prevent things from winding up too tightly. I imagine that in this case, open pipes of the proper length (for the "sound" reasons already touched-upon) would be the best solution in terms of efficiency.

That's not how we use engines in our context, though. So various compromises are made to elevate and spread the powerband appropriately. We also have to contend with emission of nasties we hear and breathe.

You are SO wrong in your thinking. Short pipes do not give the best power unless it is at the drags and it's top end you are talking about. Ever hear of fuel standoff caused by improper exhaust reversion?
did i not say that the most power a bike will make is with short straight out pipes?? i didnt say its good for street use. tuned pipe theory is not to create backpressure at a certain rpm for ideal power range, it is to create the correct length and diameter for reversion waves to reach the exhaust valve at the right time, the Sound wave will plug the port and stop blow through (typical in high hemi heads). backpressure is a resistance to flow, more restriction in an exhaust = less power. it doesnt matter where you want your power, back pressure will reduce power. if you use longer primaries with a smaller ID power and torque will be shifted down, with correct sizing you can shift peak rpm higher or lower without increasing Hp/Tq figures. also fuel stand off is not always caused by exhaust, any one going to spend money on a full build should break out the pen and paper before anything, using components that dont mix will cause problems like this.

My motor was not just put together without thought, I am working out my decell pop problems, but in noway is my motor built by someone who did not know what they are doing. And I gotta say the power my bike has I am pleased with.

My motor was not just put together without thought, I am working out my decell pop problems, but in noway is my motor built by someone who did not know what they are doing. And I gotta say the power my bike has I am pleased with.

problems can be solved if diagnosed properly

confidence in the previous techs work can cause one to skip diagnostic steps

Glider's rule #2---Take nothing for granted in mechanics!

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Last edited:

sorry mate that wasnt aimed at your build, what i intended was that a build can produce good power and do it using a pipe tune to the engine without "needing" backpressure. decel pop isnt caused by just one thing it can be any number of things. again i didnt want to sound like i was putting your bike or tech down, it was just a generalisation about building tuned pipes :bigsmiley12:

Back