free website stats program Backfiring on decel with TFI and Stage 1?? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Backfiring on decel with TFI and Stage 1??

Excellent advice from all. If nothing seems to help much, don't forget to check your muffler clamps. Most people don't use a torque wrench when they reinstall them after the new slip-ons are put on. If clamps are loose they can allow air to be sucked in when you back off the throttle. I know, it sounds kind of far fetched but loose muffler clamps can be the cause. Also, don't be surprized if your muffler clamps stretch after one or two uses and you have to buy new ones, expecially if you have been using the Armstrong method of tightening. About 40# if you use a torque wrench. Another thing to watch is how far up the muffler you locate the clamps. Too far up and it will take too much torgue to seal them. About 1 inch from the end of the muffler is about right to locate your clamps. Good luck.

The popping on decel is largely attributed to the Rinehart slip-ons. Being a free flowing muffler let's you hear it more than the stockers. If you listen with the stock mufflers, it's there too but you don't really hear it.

Good point Glider. I helped a friend with these same mufflers who had the same problem. He is using a SERT and we added some fuel to the decel tabel and made some adjustments to the spark advance also. We made it better, but not perfect.

They are doing a stage 2 on my bike right now. I picked up the old (3k miles) parts and to my amazement the pistons had about 1/16" of carbon on them. This is the stock configuration and I never would have guessed there should have been ANY carbon build up especially being fuel injected and supposedly set up lean from the factory. I know my setup will be completely different. But I just wonder what would have happened eventually as the carbon build up got to the stage of pre-ignition had I left the engine stock.

Back